Article on Firehouses on the north shore of SI

That's a great article, FDNYSI. Thanks for posting it.

Firehouse architecture reflects not only the style of the era, but also the civic pride at the time it was built. Some might say some of the opulence was unnecessary and a waste of taxpayer money. On the other hand, a lot the funding went into the pockets of those who needed it most, the immigrant laborers and artisans who built them. A job rather than a handout. And we get a to enjoy it still a century later. A win/win all around.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Those stations, like many others used by FDNY and elsewhere in America are truly a timeless remembrance to those who have served with dedication in the fire service.  Stations that have this type of feel and look will never be able to be built again, not only because of the cost but because of the lack of the required skills.  Hopefully FDNY and other departments realize the value of these historic buildings and continue to maintain and restore them instead of demolishing them and replacing them with modern-day boxes!

The attached picture is of the station I served out of in upstate New York.  The original building was a school house at one time!

Attachments

• sta2.jpg
    sta2.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 199
Right on Bulldog.

A few decades ago I visited the Fire Museum in Hudson NY. The museum is a jem but not so much as the old firehouses in the town itself. There are several along the main street built and preserved from the 19th Century. The architecture is priceless.

There are many many towns like Hudson. So glad when I see a local "Firehouse Deli" or restaurant in a preserved building. Better still like the one in Saugatuck,  CT, that was expanded rather than razed, still in service.