B I S P Question/ Day Tours

I hear on the Bravest, companies on Building Inspection, i have a couple of questions on this;

Does the company officer have a street or area with a list of address' that he needs to inspect that day, or is it just one particular building that will be inspected that day in the AM or PM period??

With regards day tours, would it be safe to say that weekday tours are pretty much AM/PM split, with maybe BISP in the AM and Hydrants in the PM, or vica versa, and most training done on weekend day tours??

It seems that FDNY companies dont spend a great deal of time in quarters these days, with a lot of outside duties to carry out.

Thanks In advance.

JT

Every company ( Engine and Ladder) in the city has an administrative district. It is a geographic area but it is not based on response assignment i.e  1st due. The company is responsible for all the building and hydrants in their district. Building are assigned a letter A ? E , A buildings are inspected once a year, B building every 2 years? etc. with E  building inspected within a 5 year period.  Private dwellings are not required to be inspected.  Times for BISP  AM or PM are assigned by the Department.  Every company has 3 periods a week.  Hydrants are inspected twice a year.  Usually the Division develops a schedule for hydrant inspection.  There is supposed to be a 1 hour drill period on both the day and night tour and a Multi-Unit drill period on the weekend.  PS  I have been retired  2 years, I don?t know if much has changed.

Thanks Turk, could a admin district take it out of its response area?? hence messages from companies saying 'delayed due to BISP?

jt

londonfireguy said:
Thanks Turk, could a admin district take it out of its response area?? hence messages from companies saying 'delayed due to BISP?

jt

Our admin areas are usually our 1st, 2nd or 3rd due response areas. When we get a run, we have to exit the building and make our way to where ever the rig is parked, which can be at times a block or two away depending on where there was a large enough spot to park the rig. Then we have to get dressed and drive to the location. All this adds to our response times and the city don't like it. But there's nothing we can do about but CYA.

Turk132: Not much has changed except the BI forms which now tells us what to inspect and how to inspect it. If there's a deficiency it tells us what to write VO or NOV and if it had to go up further A-8's etc...

Many thanks.

I was surprised to hear Squad 18 booking delayed to the box due to BISP, i didnt think Squads did BI.

Thanks for the info.

JT

turk132 said:
Every company ( Engine and Ladder) in the city has an administrative district. It is a geographic area but it is not based on response assignment i.e  1st due. The company is responsible for all the building and hydrants in their district. Building are assigned a letter A ? E , A buildings are inspected once a year, B building every 2 years? etc. with E  building inspected within a 5 year period.   Private dwellings are not required to be inspected.  Times for BISP  AM or PM are assigned by the Department.  Every company has 3 periods a week.  Hydrants are inspected twice a year.  Usually the Division develops a schedule for hydrant inspection.   There is supposed to be a 1 hour drill period on both the day and night tour and a Multi-Unit drill period on the weekend.   PS  I have been retired  2 years, I don?t know if much has changed.

Thanks "Turk132", a lot of information there that I wasn't aware of either.

JT squad companies just recently started doing bisp again, but I believe they only go out twice a week

Why is the admin dist. different than the response dist. ? Is it to even out the workload ?

The response AREA is made up of the closest boxes to a Unit s quarters.....however the administrative DISTRICT may go outside of the 1 st 2nd & 3 rd due area if the area does not contain enough occupancies that require inspections (private dwellings , cemetarys, large park areas etc do not get inspected) some Units admin district may take them into an area that they normally would go to until as high as a third alarm...this was the case when i was in LAD*126.......in most areas of the city usually most units inspect in their 1 2 & 3rd due area......some go into their 2nd alarm area......in Queens for example BN*51 quartered on Lefferts Blvd.& 107 Ave is the administrative Chief for LAD*135 s admin district which includes Rentar Plaza on Metropolitan Ave & 66 St..........check it out on a map......the 51 would not ever respond to a Fire at Rentar Plaza.....or as we used to say "they would not go there on a postcard".....it is impossible to align response AREAS with administrative DISTRICTS .......some Firehouses are actually in another Units admin district.

another example is Battalion 28 (E-206 E-218 E-237 E-238 E-217 L-106 and L-124) would be the safety chief for a multiple when E-238 and L-106 are first due and BN45 and BN35 are much closer to Greenpoint. The 45 is only a mile away from the qtrs of E-238 and L-106

Buildings used to be categorized as  ?A?  or ?B? building.  ?A?  buildings were done annually and ?B? buildings were done Bi-annually (every 2 years).  Some companies with large districts couldn?t complete all their required buildings in 2 years.  In that 2 year  period  ?A? building had to be inspected twice and ?B? buildings once.  The job went to  A thru E buildings so a company had 5 years to inspect all buildings. Buildings classified as ?A? buildings: Schools, Residential health care facilities, Child care facilities, Hotels, Places of Public Assembly, Hospitals, Underground Transit facilities , Hazardous factories and warehouses , Homeless shelter, and Large retail stores must be done annually. All other building fall into one of the other classes as selected the company commander. When this was started the Capt.in my company classified all the buildings, other than the required ?A? building as ?D? buildings which gave us 4 years to inspect all the building.

turk132 said:
Buildings used to be categorized as  ?A?  or ?B? building.  ?A?  buildings were done annually and ?B? buildings were done Bi-annually (every 2 years).  Some companies with large districts couldn?t complete all their required buildings in 2 years.  In that 2 year  period  ?A? building had to be inspected twice and ?B? buildings once.  The job went to  A thru E buildings so a company had 5 years to inspect all buildings. Buildings classified as ?A? buildings: Schools, Residential health care facilities, Child care facilities, Hotels, Places of Public Assembly, Hospitals, Underground Transit facilities , Hazardous factories and warehouses , Homeless shelter, and Large retail stores must be done annually. All other building fall into one of the other classes as selected the company commander. When this was started the Capt.in my company classified all the buildings, other than the required ?A? building as ?D? buildings which gave us 4 years to inspect all the building.

Very interesting topic, as I frequently buff the frequencies online and have heard the delays from companies due to BI for quite a long time (not as much radio traffic anymore with the MDTs it seems). If a company has to inspect a large hotel, and the members are, lets say on a high floor/roof and get a run, isn't that response delay going to be significant, and does the department take that into consideration, and have another company cover the BI company's first due? And isn't this more of an issue in the parts of the boroughs where high-rise buildings are more prevalent? Thanks.

In response to reply # 13 ......basically the FDNY HQ does not give a shit......send companies out on b.i......put them out of service for training etc....they do not worry ......unfortunate circumstances.

Jack, remember when the signs were hung on the side of the rig stating that the unit was on B.I. and would respond to runs received via radio? When the truck went on B.I. the engine crew would switch to the truck except the chauffeur and tillerman and the MPO would take the truck members for a jaunt on the engine.

Yes.....the main reason to switch was due to the fact that all TRUCKS were Tillers & harder to park properly at an inspection site......the original signs were masonite & the later ones were a soft vinyl .......havent seen a sign in over 20 yrs.

memory master said:
Jack, remember when the signs were hung on the side of the rig stating that the unit was on B.I. and would respond to runs received via radio? When the truck went on B.I. the engine crew would switch to the truck except the chauffeur and tillerman and the MPO would take the truck members for a jaunt on the engine.

I was not aware of that at all. I spent quite a few years as a Buff of the FDNY, and I still continue to learn things that I never knew. I'm very Thankful that we have people on here willing to share information.