Backdraft - You go, we go.

mack

Administrator
Maybe this is Hollywood day.

Backdraft -1991 - directed by Ron Howard - stars Kurt Russell (almost A-Rod's father-in-law), William Baldwin, Robert De Niro, Scott Glenn, Donald Sutherland - three Academy Award nominations -  grossed $77,868,585 domestic and $74,500,000 foreign - highest grossing film ever made about firefighters - total worldwide gross $152,368,585 - the film's arsonist uses the fictional chemical substance, trychtichlorate, to set fires.
Trailer:
Backdraft Trailer

Movie errors: http://www.moviemistakes.com/film110

Quotes: http://www.retrojunk.com/movie/quotes/407-backdraft/

It was Hollywood, but I think it was a great Movie. People outside the fire service got a decent idea of what it is like to work in Chicago or any other fairly large U.S. City.

Now, I would just hope that someday, Hollywood would come out with a movie based on incidents and what it was like to be an FDNY Firefighter during the War Years. Not a lot of "phony stuff", just the reality of what it was like.

I am familiar with the final action scenes. It was a large, vacant factory complex fronted by 18th st on the front and the Chicago River on the rear. Memory fails me but I think the special units were Snorkel 1 and multi-versal unit 6-7-5. You are right, you go, we go.

The WLF's were refurbed by Ranger and E-One, they were delievered in 1970 and refurbed between 1988-90. Engine 17 was originally Engine 69 or 34??
The house used as 17/46 is Engine 65/Truck 52, Ambulance 88 on the South Side.
DeNiro's office (Engine 51 in the movie, funny enough) is Engine 8/Truck 4/BN-2 and an Ambulance in Chinatown, not too far from US Cellular Field where the White Sox play.

I always like this movie. Good plot and all.

I heard the CFD let the stars like Russell and Baldwin and Glenn ride-along on apparatus to real incidents, prior to shooting. Overall, they did a good job portraying FFs.