Blue lights

Over here in Australia all police,fire and ems depts run with red and blue lights.When it first changed for fire and ems to go from all red to mix of red and blue it did seem strange at first but the blue sure does stand out.More of a worry is being told not to wear your dress uniform to and from work so as not to let any loony(terrorist)mistake a firefighter for a police officer.Two states Victoria and South Australia have changed there police uniforms to all black(like LAPD)so in those states theres less confusion between police and fire/ems personnel.

raybrag: In Virginia, blue lights are not permitted on Fire Department vehicles by State statute.  The only Fire Department vehicles with blue are fire marshals if they have law enforcement powers.  Our FM's run blue and red.  My guess is that sometime in the future, an attempt will be made to amend the statute to allow Fire and EMS vehicles to run with blue lights, at least to the rear of the apparatus.

Just this morning noticed  Engine  227  KME  has  different  light scheme  on  above  the  tail / brake  lights.  instead  of  the  amber  on  left & right  227  has  red  on  left  and  blue  on  right.  So  either  they  changed  them  or  that  is  the  latest  scheme.  So  more  blue  now...  makes  sense  since  blue  is  so  important.

Digging  further 227  must be  in house  custom  because  the  8-5-15  2000gpm  pumper  solicitation  spec.  sheet  page  110  still  calls  for  two  amber  lights...  seems  they  added  their  old  federal  siren  too...

Bulldog

Bulldog
I like the looks of the blue on the right but I think they should've left the amber on the left.  The red doesn't stand out as much as the Amber does, probably because of so much of other red in that area.

Can someone that knows the answer to this explain why there is a limit of just one blue light and why only on the rear of apparatus.

l noticed that Engine 153, the first KME in service had two and since the one has been switched to the yellow / amber.  l'm just rtying to figure this out? why such restrictions ?

lf the blue is so good, why is it so "bad" ?  ???

Nasibova said:
Can someone that knows the answer to this explain why there is a limit of just one blue light and why only on the rear of apparatus.

l noticed that Engine 153, the first KME in service had two and since the one has been switched to the yellow / amber.  l'm just rtying to figure this out? why such restrictions ?

lf the blue is so good, why is it so "bad" ?  ???

Check out # 4, Blue Lights

http://www.safeny.ny.gov/emer-vt.htm#sec375[/u]

Interesting  article about Blue Lights

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2013/01/18/flashing-blue-lights-no-longer-an-sbs-hallmark/

Bulldog

Bulldog
I don't believe there really is a requirement that they can't have more than one blue light to the rear, one yellow and one blue for the variety. If you don't see one color you may see the other one. I think that blue to the front is reserved for police and volunteer firefighter use in NYS.

Rescues, Haz-Mat, Chiefs all have two blue to the rear, so I don't think its a matter of regulations.

downtownmedic said:
Rescues, Haz-Mat, Chiefs all have two blue to the rear, so I don't think its a matter of regulations.

Yes, l see that, was wondering when specified " one blue light" and why E153 changed from 2 to 1.

Blue lights used to be strictly for Volunteer Firefighters in NY.  A few years ago they changed the law because police wanted to add them to the rear of the cars. It is still against the law to have it in the front. The blue light is supposedly easier to see at a distance and breaks up the monotony of the flashing lights of a police car or fire truck.  To try and prevent the moth to the flame accident from happening.  Since the law change all fire and police have been using it rear facing. 

I always wondered what volunteers used in other states where police have blue red combos front facing.  Thinking that the volunteers could be mistaken for police.

Bulldog

Bulldog
In2theJob said:
I always wondered what volunteers used in other states where police have blue red combos front facing.  Thinking that the volunteers could be mistaken for police.
in many states where the police have blue lights the volunteer firefighters also have blue. Actually here in Kentucky, volunteer firefighters run red lights and can even use sirens as long as they are authorized by their chief. The cops here run a combination of blue and red for local jurisdictions and the state Highway Patrol runs all blue.