Books on the "War Years"

I remember in R*2 when we used to go to Stan Kralik's  Sauerbraten dinner night at 132.

^^^^^ A LITTLE ABOUT STEVE......."Author and photographer Steven Scher was born and raised in the Bronx. He has been photographing fires and firefighters for forty years. He served as a fire alarm dispatcher for the FDNY and was its deputy press secretary. A photographer for Mayors Ed Koch and David Dinkins and an honorary deputy chief, Scher has written numerous articles on the history of the fire department."

There are so many EXCELLENT BOOKS that were published about the "historic" FDNY War Years. I collected EVERY ONE of Them and "I'm glad I did".

People like the late Tom Wanstall and Alex Douchin, Steve Scher, Warren Fuchs, Dennis Smith, Jill Friedman, Rona Beame, and of course, this web sites "Most Valuable Player", Mike Dick, aka "mikeindabronx".

These are ALL COLLECTORS Books published by those who saw for themselves just what the busiest time in history was for the busiest fire department in the entire world.

I am very thankful that we had these people willing to go out there and record this MOST HISTORIC TIME in their own words and photos.

For buffs, as well as active and retired firefighters, the FDNY War Years are STILL very often the topic of discussions.

I was fortunate enough to meet Firefighter Dennis Smith at the firehouse on Intervale Ave in the Bronx right after he wrote the book; "Report from Engine Co 82".

I also met author, photographer, FDNY Brooklyn Dispatcher, Warren Fuchs, many years ago in Bridgeport, Ct at the now closed Engine 2, where he presented a slide show of the FDNY War Years, just as Bridgeport's (CT) War Years were in the very beginning stages. I am happy to say that these days, I consider Warren Fuchs a good friend and we sometimes meet up in NYC, along with some other guys who were a part of those very busy years.

Of course I, along with many other members of this site, know and are good friends with "Our Most Valuable Player", Mike Dick, aka "mikeindabronx". Of course Mike published the book "New Yorks Bravest - their lives on the line" along with FDNY War Years Lt Tom Barry of Ladder 42.

Now if only these guys would include me in on some of their royalties on the sale of these famous books because "these days I still tell people about them". 

In addition to he books about the "War Years" how about books about their homes away from home, the firehouse. Two that I have are: Photographic Journey through the firehouses of FDNY by Hashagen with fotos by Woodcock and FHNY by Brian McCaffrey. I believe there are several errors in it but still a good reference book. Lastly may I recommend Fire Department, City of NY the Bravest History 1865-2002. It was produced by the Fire Safety Education Fund/FDNY. Lots of history in it.

The books listed are certainly great "autobiographies" and photography (where the late Alex Donchin has to be listed) of the War Years. What is missing is historical analysis of the epoch. Why did it take over a hundred years for decrepit, poverty stricken slums to burn out? When will Mumbai, Manila, or Nairobi have their War Years? Why were Presidents Carter and Reagan photographed at Bronx Box 2743? And what was the name at the top of Gasoline Gomez's paycheck?

Let me know if anyone is bidding on this because I am and I don't want to bid against any members

CFDMarshal said:
Let me know if anyone is bidding on this because I am and I don't want to bid against any members

Now, that's the sign of a true gentleman.  Bravo CFD!

One of the books I didn't see listed is " Warriors of Fire" by Tom Zambrano published in 2003. It is a gold mine of stories. Working his first tour in Ladder 36, he had to wait 1 1/2 hours to be first due at a fifth alarm. He was also working in Engine 67 on February 21, 1965. They responded two blocks south to a pulled box (1702) at St. Nicholas Avenue and W. 168th Street to find Malcolm X being carried out of the Audubon Ballroom having been shot.
Another great book is "They Only Played Cards" by Paul DeGaeta published in 1982 about Engine 282/Ladder 148 in the 30's and 40's. His first tour started at 282 at 12:01 AM, January 1, 1938. You will find out why you don't want to be a "blue light". You will also learn about the "pre-war years" wars and why 282 relocated to 279 on Hamilton Avenue on Election Night.

^^^^Election Night in Red Hook BKLYN up into the '60s could be a book in itself....only one night but Double & Triple Sections in 101/202 & 279/131.