Boro Frequencies

Do any of the chiefs/special units have portable radios with the boro/citywide frequencies in them? Do the command post radios have the boro frequencies in them? Command is not usually run out of a chief's vehicle so how does the chief or aide talk to the dispatcher?

In my day, the aide would use the closest rig to use their radio to talk to the dispatcher.  Might be the first due engine or truck.

I Wish We could get Boro Freq. Back on Broadcastify. Jest Sayin...  ;)

All of the Aide's have a second portable with all the boro frequencies on them.  That way they can be mobile and give reports.  Sometimes they do have to go to the closest rig if the boro is having problems reading them.

dan

The new APX radios being deployed have probably close to 400 channels in them including boro dispatch in every portable. There will also be encryption capability for secure communications when needed. In theory you only need 1 radio for everything but I am not sure is aides will have 2 portables etc....

dan said:
The new APX radios being deployed have probably close to 400 channels in them including boro dispatch in every portable. There will also be encryption capability for secure communications when needed. In theory you only need 1 radio for everything but I am not sure is aides will have 2 portables etc....

I didn't mind working as an aide having two radios. One to monitor fireground and one to monitor the boro. Have to hear what the chief is saying and also the dispatcher and it gave me the freedom to be mobile. (staying close to the rigs if i needed) If they switch to only one, then the aide will be tied to the closest rig.

What i didn't like was when they switched to a radio holster that held both portables in one strap. It was fine for when you are just outside but when you go in with the chief it is bulky underneath the bunker coat. I would take the radio out and leave it in the truck but the strap was still bulky and annoying.