Boston Engine Company 11

With the closure of Boston's Sumner Tunnel from now until September 1 Engine 11 has been re-activated at the quarters of Engine 9/Ladder 2 in East Boston. In addition coverage of East Boston companies into Boston proper has been suspended unless directed by FAO. This is the last apparatus assigned to them from 1970 until 1981 when they were placed OOS.

Attachments

• BFD E-11.jpeg
    BFD E-11.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 17
With the closure of Boston's Sumner Tunnel from now until September 1 Engine 11 has been re-activated at the quarters of Engine 9/Ladder 2 in East Boston. In addition coverage of East Boston companies into Boston proper has been suspended unless directed by FAO. This is the last apparatus assigned to them from 1970 until 1981 when they were placed OOS.
Are they still going to use the same running assignment otherwise? Now what's the time delay to East Boston?

Engine 11 was similarly and previously re-activated temporarily for the Callahan Tunnel closure 10 years ago.

I'm not all that familiar with Boston although I've visited a few times. Do the Sumner and Callahan Tunnels run parallel to each other? Was E11 reactivated because there will be delays due to traffic in only one tunnel being opened?

I'm not all that familiar with Boston although I've visited a few times. Do the Sumner and Callahan Tunnels run parallel to each other? Was E11 reactivated because there will be delays due to traffic in only one tunnel being opened?
yes they are parrallel, East Boston is only connected to “downtown” or “Boston proper” by tunnels, the harbor divides them. East Boston is on 1 fire district, District 1, 3 engines and 2 ladders. It’s just shy of 5 square miles and included Logan Airport.

yes they are parrallel, East Boston is only connected to “downtown” or “Boston proper” by tunnels, the harbor divides them. East Boston is on 1 fire district, District 1, 3 engines and 2 ladders. It’s just shy of 5 square miles and included Logan Airport.
Curious but what is the function of the Ted Williams tunnel? Commerical traffic only?

Curious but what is the function of the Ted Williams tunnel? Commerical traffic only?
Sumner was built in the 30’s, state route 1A, traffic went both directions. Callahan was built mid 60’s parrallel and then each tunnel had one direction. The “Big Dig” brought the Ted Williams in the early 90’s, it took the Mass Pike or Interstate 90 from the NY border right to Logan.