Boston FD GO#9, 2-4-1981

On this date pursuant to Proposition 2 1/2 Boston began the de-activation of companies. E43/L20 and E25 were deactivated. IMHO losing 43/20 was a bad decision. There were in the area of South Boston, Roxbury, Dorchester, South End, all which were busy fire areas. In addition they were close to accessing the cities expressway system. But this was just the beginning, on April 7th 8 engine companies and 5 ladder companies were also de-activated. Other companies were re-located, such as 10 to 25's house and the Tower also. And as of this date all those de-activations and re-locations are still in effect, to the best of my memory.

Grump. I do remember that

The Sparks as they were called, similar to Buffs in other areas. would hang out at the Howard Johnson’s just around the corner of 43/20s quarters

Those were very tough years for both civilians as well as firefighters

The closing of fire companies in New York City began a trend for many other cities as well

Firefighters, as well as civilian lives, just didn’t matter anymore.

As word spread I remember the closing of fire companies in Bridgeport, Ct where my father worked
Plus in the early 80's, even in my small town here - Norwich, Ct., where Rescue 1 and Engine 6, were both two man companies, were closed

Bridgeport closed Engine 2 (the busiest engine in the city), plus Engine 5, Engine 9, Engine 11, plus Trucks 10, 11, and 12,- which were city service ladder trucks at the time.
Truck 10 has since become a four member staffed Aerial Ladder Co

Fortunately nobody got laid off though as the openings were filled through attrition.
But the threat was there

Last edited:
On this date pursuant to Proposition 2 1/2 Boston began the de-activation of companies. E43/L20 and E25 were deactivated. IMHO losing 43/20 was a bad decision. There were in the area of South Boston, Roxbury, Dorchester, South End, all which were busy fire areas. In addition they were close to accessing the cities expressway system. But this was just the beginning, on April 7th 8 engine companies and 5 ladder companies were also de-activated. Other companies were re-located, such as 10 to 25's house and the Tower also. And as of this date all those de-activations and re-locations are still in effect, to the best of my memory.
1981 - E1, E11, E12, E25, E26, E34, E36, E40, E43, E45, E50, E54, L5, L8, L13, L20, L22, L30, L31, Aerial Tower, RS2, Marine Unit, District 2

E49, E50, RS2, Marine Unit have been reorganized.

Grump. I do remember that

The Sparks as they were called, similar to Buffs in other areas. would hang out at the Howard Johnson’s just around the corner of 43/20s quarters

Those were very tough years for both civilians as well as firefighters

The closing of fire companies in New York City began a trend for many other cities as well

Firefighters, as well as civilian lives, just didn’t matter anymore.

As word spread I remember the closing of fire companies in Bridgeport, Ct where my father worked
Plus in the early 80's, even in my small town here - Norwich, Ct., where Rescue 1 and Engine 6, were both two man companies, were closed

Bridgeport closed Engine 2 (the busiest engine in the city), plus Engine 5, Engine 9, Engine 11, plus Trucks 10, 11, and 12,- which were city service ladder trucks at the time.
Truck 10 has since become a four member staffed Aerial Ladder Co

Fortunately nobody got laid off though as the openings were filled through attrition.
But the threat was there
spent many a night @ "Whip City".

mack

Administrator
Disgruntled voters tired of very high taxes voted for Prop 2 1/2, which immediately put a limit on municipalities across Massachusetts for city property and vehicle tax rates. The reaction (maybe better called retaliation) was drastic reduction of city and town payrolls with layoffs. This was across the state - not just Boston. Fire, police, schools, parks, roads - all were threatened with reductions by city leaders before the vote. When the proposition was passed by voters in spite of threatened consequences, it turned out to be a quick opportunity to reduce fire departments, police departments, special school programs, etc. Over time, most services were restored as cities were forced to manage more responsibly, but fire cuts unfortunately became permanent, as Grump points out above.

Most fire departments across the state became drastically reduced and became dependent on mutual aid.

A Boston Arson Spree took place in 1982 in and around Boston in 1982 by a ring of 8 members who were disgruntled about reductions and thought increased fires and crime would rectify unfair reductions. Members included a firefighter, cops and individuals waiting for jobs. Boston was the arson capital of the United States with at least 164 serious fires until the ring was broken.

Last edited:

mack

Administrator

Vintage Boston Fire Audio 6-11-1982. Boston Fires Busiest Night.

Last edited:
Disgruntled voters tired of very high taxes voted for Prop 2 1/2, which immediately put a limit on municipalities across Massachusetts for city property and vehicle tax rates. The reaction (maybe better called retaliation) was drastic reduction of city and town payrolls with layoffs. This was across the state - not just Boston. Fire, police, schools, parks, roads - all were threatened with reductions by city leaders before the vote. When the proposition was passed by voters in spite of threatened consequences, it turned out to be a quick opportunity to reduce fire departments, police departments, special school programs, etc. Over time, most services were restored as cities were forced to manage more responsibly, but fire cuts unfortunately became permanent, as Grump points out above.

Most fire departments across the state became drastically reduced and became dependent on mutual aid.

A Boston Arson Spree took place in 1982 in and around Boston in 1982 by a ring of 8 members who were disgruntled about reductions and thought increased fires and crime would rectify unfair reductions. Members included a firefighter, cops and individuals waiting for jobs. Boston was the arson capital of the United States with at least 164 serious fires until the ring was broken.
Mutual aid was not designed to solve financial and fiscal problems but instead when your rescources are simply over-whelmed. Unfortunately the bean counters thought differently. But mutual aid is what saved Boston during the "Burn, Boston Burn" era.

mack

Administrator
Some 1982 BFD fires during arson spree: