Bridgeport Major gas odor

Driving home through Fairfield Connecticut early yesterday afternoon I suddenly was hit with an odor of gas in my car. At first I thought it was something wrong with the vehicle but the smell continued until I got home. At that point I heard sirens as just about all BFD companies were zipping all over the city of Bridgeport. Their dispatch was overwhelmed with calls and the units were going to every one of them and then clearing to ensure there was no leak in that spot.
Turns out it was a local fuel cell plant just purging it's lines.

Driving home through Fairfield Connecticut early yesterday afternoon I suddenly was hit with an odor of gas in my car. At first I thought it was something wrong with the vehicle but the smell continued until I got home. At that point I heard sirens as just about all BFD companies were zipping all over the city of Bridgeport. Their dispatch was overwhelmed with calls and the units were going to every one of them and then clearing to ensure there was no leak in that spot.
Turns out it was a local fuel cell plant just purging it's lines.
Ah! The smell of clean energy in the air.

I would have figured thats just the generic Bridgeport smell, but I would have been wrong I guess. Sorta like the Jersey Smell over by the Pulaski when you cross over from Kearny into Newark

I would have figured thats just the generic Bridgeport smell, but I would have been wrong I guess. Sorta like the Jersey Smell over by the Pulaski when you cross over from Kearny into Newark
1938...And you live where?

Hartford smells worse lol

A bit off the topic here but I remember back in the days when smoke and the smell of the dump burning at the far end of Seaside Park would cover the entire city.
The first due engine company, Engine 7 back then on Bostwick Ave was nicknamed; "The Dump Rats".

1938...And you live where?
These days? Sunny Buffalo on NY's west coast. Prior to 2010, born and raised in Southern Westchester to a Theriot Ave Father and a fine lady from Bayside. Lived in Manhattan 6 years on W106th and spent 2 years working in Port Elizabeth as a 24/7 port agent for several shipping lines.

These days? Sunny Buffalo on NY's west coast. Prior to 2010, born and raised in Southern Westchester to a Theriot Ave Father and a fine lady from Bayside. Lived in Manhattan 6 years on W106th and spent 2 years working in Port Elizabeth as a 24/7 port agent for several shipping lines.
Buffalo?... Let me get this straight...Buffalo?...and you are criticising Bridgeport?

Buffalo?... Let me get this straight...Buffalo?...and you are criticising Bridgeport?
Dont knock it till ya try it, and besides Im told it smells way better here now that all the steel mills are closed!

I can remember as a kid riding past the outskirts of Buffalo with my parents, and practically needing a gas mask to make it. Same around Asheville NC.

Yeah the stories Ive heard about driving through Lackawanna next to the Bethlehem mill when it was up and running are pretty ugly.

None of this compares to Pasadena (Where the grass is greena...and so is the air), Texas back in the old days. Home of the largest municipal volunteer fire department in the US, the place always had a sharp, metallic gas smell of danger to it. It instantly comes to mind when I hear a reference to the movie Urban Cowboy- which was filmed there. This all proved true in 1989 when the Phillips polyethylene plant blew up.

The trick everywhere is to live and work upwind.