Busy areas for fires

As previously talked about over many topics, the demographics of NYC changes year by year, the fires follow the change, albeit a little slower than the demographics change.

Over the years, and when i spent a year plotting working fires in Da Bronx, it was clear that the fires had moved to the northern areas of the borough, with companies in the far northern suburbs seeing fire on an almost daily basis.

Before personal circumstances made a drastic turn for the worse, which im still recovering from emotionally, i did the same for Manhattan, this borough seemed very hit and miss, with no real set pattern of working fires concentrated on any particular area for any great length of time, ie: for a few days Harlem would see a number of 10-75s or greater, then they would go quiet, and lower manhattan would see a burst of fire, then midtown, then Washington heights, then back to harlem. The only area really in. Manhattan th t saw a reliable tick over of fires was way up in Washington heights, but it was by far nowhere near as common as areas of Da. Bronx or Brooklyn.

I spent six months plotting Brooklyn, and two areas shared a constant steady flow of regular 10-75s or greater, Flatbush, and East New York, with i have to say L175 and L147 must be amongst the  busiest tiller companies in the nation for working fires!!! The beauty of these two companies, is they have a high working fire to total number of calls ratio, as do the engines in their respective areas.

This was however a few years ago, and i have been out of the loop somewhat this year, and was wandering where the fires are in the Boroughs now, what companies are seeing the red devil frequently.

Hope your all well.

JT

"Rodent 251", glad your back.

Speaking strictly as a buff, this is the place to find that out. The jobs are listed by Boros and most jobs list the first and second due engine and ladders that caught it. Go back the last six months or year, and those figures should be pretty easy to get. I might work on it myself. Maybe I'll start with the Bronx.

Rodent, the same is true in Staten Island with the busy areas. The North shore which is closer to the VZ bridge and the ferry, is the busiest area of the borough with jobs. Every once in a while, the slower south shore will catch a fire spell and for a few days be the home to a few 10-75's. It jumps around the borough like anywhere. No better feeling than hearing or even smelling a job on the south shore and knowing the companies out here will be catching some work!

Thanks SI..  Just out of curiosity.. I strarted to plot 10-75s or greater for bronx and brooklyn, using this website and gotham feeds, and still.... E same comapnies as three years ago are seeing regular fire.. Albeit flatbush seems to have the lead, with east new york a very very close second, and who would believe it E75 seeing thier fair share. That engine company refuses to quieten down!!
The north Bronx had a couple, but university heights  and west farms section kinda beat them for having jot plotted fires before this time period, i have no idea whatbe teend was leading up to this time, but it seems if your a proby and want fire..E281...L147... And E75 TL33 seem to be the places to be this week.

Should i keep plotting...

JT

I forgot to mention E42, with a couple on thier first due, but an zbundance as 2nd and3rd due engine.

A good single engine it seems remember they were always in the stats, even a few years ago.

JT

mack

Administrator
JT - Thanks for all your information.  When are you coming over to visit?  You would find the areas you are plotting to be very interesting.

Mack, how you doing. i have put any plans for visits to one side for a couple of years, im going over to the dark side and going ems!!! Im funding my own paramedics course, doing it in cape town with a company called Ronin, who run courses for anyone wherever your from in the world. Itsa hardcore course but one where you earn your spurs pretty damn quick, and the ones who are not up to the grade soon drop out... So it might be a short visit to cape town for me!!!! ; )

As for plotting... East New York... And flatbush have being active, lower manhattan and washington heights. i have not had time to collate the bronx workers, but have the info stored. There quiet a few fires that dont get caught on here but can be caught on gothamist and emtbravo.

Good engines this year for a rookie so far... Engines 62 63 42 45 75 48 290 231 236 332 281 and 255.

To be honest manhattan is very transient in its fires, it moves from area to area quite a lot, pretty hit and miss. I aim to start plotting queens when i have more time.

Hope you are all well.

JT

Indeed they have, and do have spurts of activity, but the companies i featured are purely from the data i have managed to collate, and are engines  that are consistently active companies.

One thing i have learnt from doing this, trends shift in NYC, a lot!!! But the above companies have being consistent in fire activity for a few years now, they mY not be the busiest companies in terms of runs, but CONSISTENTLY get their feed of fire week in week out.

92/44 is a busy house, but for fires, seems to be a little like the harlem companies, can be pretty hit and miss on fires.

JT

Rodent251 said:
Indeed they have, and do have spurts of activity, but the companies i featured are purely from the data i have managed to collate, and are engines  that are consistently active companies.

One thing i have learnt from doing this, trends shift in NYC, a lot!!! But the above companies have being consistent in fire activity for a few years now, they mY not be the busiest companies in terms of runs, but CONSISTENTLY get their feed of fire week in week out.

92/44 is a busy house, but for fires, seems to be a little like the harlem companies, can be pretty hit and miss on fires.

JT

There's are no companies that are consistently going to fires.

Scammell,

Indeed your right once again, but some areas of the city, not necessarily fdny companies, have periods of fire activity, with shorter periods of non fire activity between the fires, and the companies in those areas  are the ones that seem or appear to be picking up the fires. Its not about plotting what fdny companies are doing, but rather what the city is doing. And from the info i have plotted... Well the evidence is there...

JT