BYE BYE Leather Lids!

FDNY just announced the traditional FDNY leather helmet will no longer or be permitted to use. The official helmet adopted is the Honeywell Ben Franklin II. I guess we can also eliminate the term "Bronx Bend."

FDNY HELMET POLICY

The plot program to evaluate the Leather Caims Helmet for the FDNY has come to an end. This helmet will not be used in the FDNY. Any member that was issued a leather helmet for this pilot program must discontinue using it immediately while on duty. These members shall contact the quartermaster if their other helmet has passed its 10-year service life. Furthermore, ALL MEMBERS are reminded that the only acceptable helmet to be worn while on duty is the Honeywell Ben Franklin II model helmet issued by the quartermaster Chief and company officers shall ensure all members under their command comply with this directive.

FDNY just announced the traditional FDNY leather helmet will no longer or be permitted to use. The official helmet adopted is the Honeywell Ben Franklin II. I guess we can also eliminate the term "Bronx Bend."
Yeh, i heard that too. Probably money. Best bid wins.

Quick story to share. When I was in L 38 I decided to transfer to Brooklyn. I had to submit 4 ladder companies, I selected in this order, L 103, 120, 123 and 112. 112 was a quick addition because I was unfamiliar with Bushwick and a friend told me to add it on. Fast forward, dream comes true and I'm assigned to L 112. Some years later we get the new dopey leather helmets with tetrahedrons and chin straps that don't fit correctly on our heads. I get mine, and stick it in my garage at home, I'm not going to wear that crappy lid. Being Mr. Slick, I buy the tetrahedons like the new lid and add them to my old helmet. Couple of days later, my Captain asks where my new helmet was, I did the ol' shuck and jive for the next two tours, the tetrahedrons didn't work apparently.

Finally, he catches me in the housewatch. He wants to know where my helmet is, dopey me tells him it blew off the rig somewhere on Bushwick Ave. He insists my helmet be on the rig by lunchtime, but it's impossible since it's back home in my garage. It's after lunch. No lid. Well, he reluctantly says, I'm going to have to give you a "command discipline." And I accept it, no hard feelings, I was being a stunad.

And now the funny part, with the CD I have to be detailed out of the company for 30 days. Guess where...103 Truck! My first choice. I had a blast down there, met some real cool guys. In fact, L 112 Senior man and ladder chauffeur Jimmy "Pops" Thornton knew I was having a fun time, that he gave up the seat one night and took a detail down to L 103 to work with me. A few other guys did as well.

Lo and behold, the first WTC bombing attack occured (1993). I was working that day. Every surrounding truck company responded to the WTC. Only two ladder companies left, L 103 and L 112. We were chasing fires the rest of the day working together. When I returned I thanked my boss for sending me, he then asked me to go to ladder chauffeur school, which I gladly did. Glory Days indeed.

Now my two lids sit side by side, happy together!
misc2.jpg

Bulldog

Bulldog
Other than the possibility of a money issue between the 2 helmets of anyone know why they are now not going to allow the leather helmets? Is it a safety issue or something else?

As we used to say:

"LEATHER - FOREVER".

As far as a safety issue, my old leather helmet got a big dent in the back of it.
It hit a solid concrete wall from a second floor window - "with me in it".
But not even a bump on the back of my big "noggin", or sometimes referred to as; "head or cranium".

The helmets do through an extensive process of testing, much more than we know. I would think the safety issue is paramount.

Newer leather helmets are also quite heavy and sit much higher (due to the impact cap and enhanced suspension). Perhaps many of the members who participated in the pilot program see it as a practical matter, having never known leather helmets.

I don’t know any FDNY members who wear the Ben II helmet, but I have spoken to Houston FD members who have worn them. The HFD members liked the helmets overall, saying they felt more comfortable than the Cairns Sam Houston model (leather helmet equivalent to the New Yorker), One of their observations was that it sat lower than other helmets and weighed less than the Sam Houston. I know the Ben II was lighter than the Cairns 1010 model which I wore. Personally, I’m sorry to see leather phased out, but comfort and protection are important. Also, cost has to be considered.
By the way, I still have my leather New Yorker which I purchased in 1970 when I was an Auxiliary with 132 Truck and that is my favorite helmet.

I think many of the Members who participated in the pilot program certainly were well versed in Leather Helmets.....it was not a YEA or NAY vote on them by the participators but I think more so the dollar factor by the City.

I don’t know any FDNY members who wear the Ben II helmet, but I have spoken to Houston FD members who have worn them. The HFD members liked the helmets overall, saying they felt more comfortable than the Cairns Sam Houston model (leather helmet equivalent to the New Yorker), One of their observations was that it sat lower than other helmets and weighed less than the Sam Houston. I know the Ben II was lighter than the Cairns 1010 model which I wore. Personally, I’m sorry to see leather phased out, but comfort and protection are important. Also, cost has to be considered.
By the way, I still have my leather New Yorker which I purchased in 1970 when I was an Auxiliary with 132 Truck and that is my favorite helmet.
JIm, I still have my leather helmet that I wore as an auxiliary. I got mine when a chief in my house retired and left his helmet in the chiefs' gear closet. I found another and gave it to one of the assigned BCs.

There is nothing better then a leather helmet! I have both and I love my Leather the best. Why won't they let them wear Leather they are much safer and hold up much better thank the Plastic/Composite ones. How about the guys who bought there own will they still wear them? I know guy and Rescue 3 and 4 and L-30 who have worn them for years even after they told them not to.

How about the guys who bought there own will they still wear them? I know guy and Rescue 3 and 4 and L-30 who have worn them for years even after they told them not to.
I hear since this order, everyone including the guys who bought their own are now having to wear the department issued Ben II's.

Too bad they are getting rid of the leather helmet. Does that mean they are going to have members trade in their leathers for department issued helmets or will the members be able to keep their helmets for their private collections??

Too bad they are getting rid of the leather helmet. Does that mean they are going to have members trade in their leathers for department issued helmets or will the members be able to keep their helmets for their private collections??
Everyone who currently has a leather (with perhaps the exception of a handful of very senior members) bought it out of pocket and of course it is their property to keep.

Bulldog

Bulldog
It would be nice if they would provide information showing how the ones they are now mandating are safer than the leather helmets. Of course they probably won't but it would certainly be nice.

I know that this is going to come across as very cynical but I think safety is secondary to money. Many members retired with their original helmet. Now all these new helmets come on the scene and need to be replaced every ten years. Money is being made. If my information/ opinion is incorrect, my apologies.

I know that this is going to come across as very cynical but I think safety is secondary to money. Many members retired with their original helmet. Now all these new helmets come on the scene and need to be replaced every ten years. Money is being made. If my information/ opinion is incorrect, my apologies.
I agree but I also think the 10 year replacement is a bunch of BS there is little to no need for it if the helmet is in good shape! Guys would wear leather helmets for 20+ years and there has never been a injury documented that the reason for the injury was a helmet issue! The 10 years BS is all NFPA and most of the board is made up of manufactures all about making money!

As we used to say:

"LEATHER - FOREVER".

As far as a safety issue, my old leather helmet got a big dent in the back of it.
It hit a solid concrete wall from a second floor window - "with me in it".
But not even a bump on the back of my big "noggin", or sometimes referred to as; "head or cranium".

Here's another famous Leather Helmet Quote:

"Macks and Leather - Go Together"

Mack Apparatus and Leather Helmets were the BEST, and both proved themselves during the highest fire activity of the 1970s FDNY War Years, and other very busy departments in the next decade to follow.