Carbon Monoxide and Heating Systems

I recognize it is the time of the year when there are a high number of CO incidents related to heating systems with the onset of the heating season.

It seems we had a lot of these incidents the past few days - I was wondering if part of Fire Prevention Training did FDNY have any program/information addressing this situation.  I remember in elementary school always discussing fire prevention during fire prevention week (forget what month it was) and in some classes having to write an essay on fire prevention - remember doing one on "spontaneous combustion" with input from the menbers of E274. The teacher would have each of us read our essay/composition to the class as part of our English class and so forth.  Perhaps, with the changing of the clocks in the Fall, in addition to changing our smoke detector batteries, we should remind people to tune up their heating systems. 

I also remember our oil company always calling to set up a heating inspection/tune up call in late Spring or early Summer prior to the Fall heating season.  Now, in the last 10-15 years if I don't call they never inquire.  I think that is because many of the large companies have an air conditioning operation and find it more cost effective to respond to an occassional no-heat call rather than do preventive maintenance.