Cell phone service out - February 22 '24

A serious event is going on throughout much of the country today, February 22 '24.
Many cell phones are NOT working, including calling 911.

I have both a landline and cellphone but when I try to call my landline from my cellphone, it is NOT WORKING.

However, I have tried to text and that IS going through.

But those trying to call 911 from a cellphone apparently it is NOT working.
People can NOT get Emergency Help if needed.

I understand this was first reported around 3 - 4 am est.
It is reported being a problem with most of the cellphone carriers such as AT&T, Verizon, T-mobile, etc.

If anyone can pass on helpful information regarding this serious issue, PLEASE LET US KNOW.

This is only a taste of what is to come in the very near future. Sadly, our country does not take the protection of our critical infrastructure seriously and our enemies are exploiting it. Although today’s event will be explained away as a technical glitch so as not to panic the masses, it was in most probability, a warning shot fired across our bow by a foriegn actor.

This is going to be a VERY BIG problem in Essex County, NJ. We do NOT have Call Boxes, if someone needs to call the Fire Department, you better pray your neighbor has a landline. Or your local Firehouse is nearby. NYC shouldn't have that hard of a problem contacting FDNY or NYPD. Plus Congress is out here saying we don't have a way to defend against Russian Nukes in Space, that is the most BS I've heard all year. We've been shooting stuff down in space since the 80's.

Anyone know if theres still any Pull Boxes still used in NYC?

This is going to be a VERY BIG problem in Essex County, NJ. We do NOT have Call Boxes, if someone needs to call the Fire Department, you better pray your neighbor has a landline. Or your local Firehouse is nearby. NYC shouldn't have that hard of a problem contacting FDNY or NYPD. Plus Congress is out here saying we don't have a way to defend against Russian Nukes in Space, that is the most BS I've heard all year. We've been shooting stuff down in space since the 80's.

Yes there are still BARS boxes in parts of Queens and parts of Brooklyn

Also, its not just those listed above Cricket, Consumer Cellular, Boost Mobile, USCellular, Straight Talk, First Net, Tracfone, Spectrum Mobile, xfinity mobile lines, mint mobile, NET10 Wireless, and Metro PCS are all down. And that is just PHONE COMPANIES. Theres several other Companies who are having problems.

dan

a limited amount still in Staten Island. Maybe a dozen in Brooklyn which are not operable. The rest of the city is all ERS....the outside plant focus has been running fiber optic cable to all FDNY facilities. not maintenance of boxes .....the boxes are old technology that relies on Verizon on the back end to come into the dispatchers.....and the modernized ERS system from 2005-2009 is end of life.......not as reliable anymore.....I would not risk using a pull box as sole means of getting help anymore.....

As a quick fix you can turn on wifi calling on your phone and it will make calls through the internet. This won't help if you're out and about, but it will give you the ability to call for help if you have internet access.

a limited amount still in Staten Island. Maybe a dozen in Brooklyn which are not operable. The rest of the city is all ERS....the outside plant focus has been running fiber optic cable to all FDNY facilities. not maintenance of boxes .....the boxes are old technology that relies on Verizon on the back end to come into the dispatchers.....and the modernized ERS system from 2005-2009 is end of life.......not as reliable anymore.....I would not risk using a pull box as sole means of getting help anymore.....
But Boston still has functioning street boxes in service.

It seems to be limited to AT&T and the companies that use their network. If you use Verizon, T-Mobile, etc. and are having trouble, it most likely means you're trying to call someone who uses AT&T.

It seems to be limited to AT&T and the companies that use their network. If you use Verizon, T-Mobile, etc. and are having trouble, it most likely means you're trying to call someone who uses AT&T.
Its not just them, this morning it was ALMOST every cell phone provider. Spectrum and xfinity INCLUDED. Across the whole country.

For future reference: AT&T Office of the President # 800-355-9542

Explain your issue....Be polite...Your problem WILL be taken care of! You will also get a follow up call to make sure you are happy.

NYCs Fire Alarm Box system has been ALLOWED to fall into a serious state of disrepair......yes physically damaged Boxes are replaced & many others receive a coat of fresh paint but so many DO NOT FUNCTION & this has been the case for years & those in power know it as it has been brought to the table on many levels but most times the old "everybody has a cell phone" statement is trotted out.....BUT when the cell phones don't work ?

Yes Chief - "but when the cell phones don't work ? ? ? ?

I have AT&T and service has been restored to my phone finally at 12:10 pm
But it was out from around 3:30 am.

Those needing 911 were in some serious trouble.

Last edited: