Changes we've seen in the fire service

I was hired on the job early in 2001 and left in 2007, then returned recently as a volunteer. I was surprised at the changes from the time I left to now and the ones I've seen in the fire service in the span of time from 2001. For example, I read that a change to NFPA 1901 says that firefighters aren't to wear their helmets in moving apparatus. For another example, from the time I was hired to the time I left, I made the transition from low-pressure 2216 psi MSA SCBA's with a separate PASS device, to high-pressure 4500 psi Scott AP50's with integrated PASS and HUD. What other changes has everyone seen since either 2001 or 2007? Obviously the old saying "200 years of tradition, unimpeded by progress" is only a joke.

I retired from the job in 2004. I go into the firehouse now and I'm with a whole new set of faces. Most of them I never worked with. My generation is all gone and retired. Everything from traffic vest to an on scene system of locating you in a building fire is now a part of the fire service. Those things didn't exist only 8 years ago.

There were no FAST or RIT teams when I was on the job. Or no rehab like there is today. And I'm only talking about 8 years. I believe most of the firefighters are college graduates. Most of us only had a high school dipoloma.

It still is "The Greatest Job in the World". But I think the politically correct thing has changed things. We actually had alot of fun in those years. Everybody took a "verbal beating". It was just part of it.  Today that just doesn't exist. Having a bucket of water dumped on you was just part of the routine. Today I think somebody would complain that you messed up their hair if you did that.

I think its safe to say there were more fires then. As years have gone on of course there has been major changes in protecting buildings from fire. Mandatory fire alarm systems, smoke detectors, and sprinkler systems have reduced fires significally. Fire investigations have improved and insurance companies aren't so quick to make payments for any suspicions fires. People using cell phones are able to report fires before they grow larger.

One thing that really hasn't changed is that it still takes well trained firefighters to fight fires and save lives. The heat and smoke that todays firefighters face is the same smoke and heat that previous generations of firefighters have had to face. In fact, with many more plastics in use, that could make the conditions even worse for todays firefighters.

Members of the fire depts today are there to help the citizens they protect, just like it was 40 years ago. They still are a part of Americas Greatest Heros. And now as I am on the "outside looking in", I fully respect them for what they do.

I've been out since 2003 (and started this adventure as an FDNY Auxiliary in 1968). The most obvious changes are bunker gear, enclosed cabs (and assigned seating), radios, power tools, improved SCBA and tower ladders/elevating platforms. I got to tell you though, I miss hanging on the side of a rig, wind in my face, pulling up my boots.
As the years wore on Rapid Intervention was introduced; better accountability systems came about; training became more focused, frequent and intense; our role was expanded to include EMS functions, Haz-Mat operations and terrorist/terrorism response. Texas A & M has a great training facility in College Station for fires and emergencies. Been there many times and always came home with new tricks.
What I've seen since I retired, particularly out here in the Pacific Northwest, is an increased emphasis on defensive/exterior operations. The aggressive interior attack, long the hallmark of fire departments, has been replaced, at least out here, by a hit it from the outside approach even when there is a possible life hazard (this is certainly NOT the case back East), so many times a news story will report on a fire and when interviewed a "PIO" will say the building was too hot to enter or there was too much fire.
Some things will never change, thank God. The camraderie of the troops, the dedication to the job and the ability to overcome whatever BS "city hall" throws our way are prime examples of an enduring spirit.

Buffed in Boston, 70-79. Purchasing the 2 Stuphen Tower Ladder AT-1 @ E-3, AT-2 @E-37. BFD ran these rigs to death, any working fire gave you a AT, depending on the location a second or third gave you the other. Two guys in a basket able to deliver a master stream from above. BLUE STUFF ON THE RED STUFF, don't get any better than that. By the way these companies were among the busiest 5 truck/? companies. Anywhere, anyyfire!!