Charts - Growing Impact of FDNY CFR Runs on Engine Companies

Just last night Mount Sinai pulled up in-front of me and lady walks up to ambulance…. EMT says “hey Caroline how you doing? You want to go to the hospital again? She responds yeah I have nowhere to go tonight”
Even more entertaining was in the 1970's Houston's Fifth Ward (the " Bloody Fifth"- running turf of the great George Foreman before he turned to boxing). One of the local characters was Robert Lee "Sweetcakes" Jackson. One of "Cakes" interests was to present himself to a neighborhood auto accident, lay down in the roadway, loudly proclaim that he was seriously injured, and protest that the Houston FD needed to remove him to the county hospital forthwith! Of course, he finally ran out of cops and firemen to which this act was a novelty. He was unfailingly polite and never demanded drugs. The gang working at the County ER (at that time a place that treated more gun shots wounds than anywhere- the Army sent medics in training from Fort Sam Houston there to be broken in) loved to see him. Everyone would say hello- before they kicked his butt back out on the street!

It used be that if city bus drivers were involved in an accident, they were required to lock the doors and do a headcount. I wonder if that is where Sweetcakes got his start.

CFR only responds on some segments 1,2 and 3. So no drugs, unknowns, injuries, sicks, edps, stabs, shots, etc. I'm not doubting what you're saying but perhaps one of our FADs on here could clarify the process.
These are the assignments where the text says, “call sent to fire based on call type” prior to any information about EMS triage. He is correct. EMS segments are one way a CFR response is initiated. Another is the NYPD complaint code.

Even more entertaining was in the 1970's Houston's Fifth Ward (the " Bloody Fifth"- running turf of the great George Foreman before he turned to boxing). One of the local characters was Robert Lee "Sweetcakes" Jackson. One of "Cakes" interests was to present himself to a neighborhood auto accident, lay down in the roadway, loudly proclaim that he was seriously injured, and protest that the Houston FD needed to remove him to the county hospital forthwith! Of course, he finally ran out of cops and firemen to which this act was a novelty. He was unfailingly polite and never demanded drugs. The gang working at the County ER (at that time a place that treated more gun shots wounds than anywhere- the Army sent medics in training from Fort Sam Houston there to be broken in) loved to see him. Everyone would say hello- before they kicked his butt back out on the street!

It used be that if city bus drivers were involved in an accident, they were required to lock the doors and do a headcount. I wonder if that is where Sweetcakes got his
There was an incident several years ago involving a Chicago Transit bus and a private auto. First arriving CFD units found people crawling INTO the bus via the windows!

There was an incident several years ago involving a Chicago Transit bus and a private auto. First arriving CFD units found people crawling INTO the bus via the windows!
America's real first responders. Ya can't make money standing on the sidewalk with yer hands in yer pockets, gawking!

In my opinion, I don't think its more engine companies that are needed but more ambulances and EMS personnel. This would help with the problem that often occurs now, where the engines are tied up for a bit waiting for a bus. Especially in this day and age where fires are decreasing and EMS runs are increasing, don't know how much adding more companies would help.
I do belive (i'm not a First Responder) FDNY allows Appratus to transport if the situations permit. Though I think even if this is a rule Crews might only do this with kids/infants.

EMS/CFR runs will start high as long as certain segments of an areas population do not have to pay the bills for the services they get.
Welfare, Medicaid, etc…. People pay nothing out of pocket and have a shot at going from of the line at the hospital.

Add in sky high drug overdoses/incidents as everyone is now stoned whether it be prescription drugs, street weed, heroin, fentanyl, and now “medicinal weed”.
Many car accidents are caused by Alcohol DWI but the stoners are catching up fast as many feel there’s less chance of getting into legal trouble using legal weed.
Ask bartenders a s depending on their clientele are ordering more non-alcoholic drinks to serve because people are are getting high and don’t want the alcohol screwing with it or getting DWI

EMS/CFR runs will start high as long as certain segments of an areas population do not have to pay the bills for the services they get.
Welfare, Medicaid, etc…. People pay nothing out of pocket and have a shot at going from of the line at the hospital.

Add in sky high drug overdoses/incidents as everyone is now stoned whether it be prescription drugs, street weed, heroin, fentanyl, and now “medicinal weed”.
Many car accidents are caused by Alcohol DWI but the stoners are catching up fast as many feel there’s less chance of getting into legal trouble using legal weed.
Ask bartenders a s depending on their clientele are ordering more non-alcoholic drinks to serve because people are are getting high and don’t want the alcohol screwing with it or getting DWI
There are some requirements to get some portions of Medicaid.

Saw a video on YouTube about “the busiest engine company in the country”. It was out in Cali, maybe LA, or San Fran. Anyways, it was due to “skid row” being in their first due area, tons of CFR runs.
Watched the same video, I see how busy “9’s” is but it is interesting to see they have 2 engines, a ladder, 4 ambulances and a Fast response unit. That’s crazy to have 8 companies in the house.

Watched the same video, I see how busy “9’s” is but it is interesting to see they have 2 engines, a ladder, 4 ambulances and a Fast response unit. That’s crazy to have 8 companies in the house.
And these departments share run totals for the entire house rather than each company.

58/26 or 290/103 have been doing over 10,000 runs since the beginning of time when measured that way.

It's because there building a new station 2, then the apparatus will be split up between 9 and 2..

In 1966, Los Angeles station 9 was one of three original 'super houses' combining multiple houses and companies into one central station.
The 9's were formed from Engines 9, 23, 24 and Ladder 24. The area also lost Engine 7 and 30.
The additional EMS units were placed here because the station has the size and the area has the call volume.
They were added during a redeployment of staffing from suppression to EMS in 2011.

People in NYC know what words to say to get an ambulance there quick and it almost never fails that they don’t wanna go to the closest hospital because they won’t take care of them. And guess what we have to take them, leaving us out of service longer than we should be.

The biggest reason for the increase is because dispatchers send CFR engine for any type of call.Most of the calls are not critical or even something a CFR engine can treat with the level of training we have.A lot are for intoxicated people or someone who calls saying they just feel sick."Major" injury which I've seen be a blister on the foot.People haven't been getting sicker the EMS dispatchers who send the runs to FD do not properly take the information. I'm sure there's been hundreds of times where first due engine missed a fire due to babysitting someone with a tummy ache because your now legally responsible for patient care when you shouldn't have been there in the first place
Yes very true. A lot downgraded runs because PD put it as a 54 Cardiac and in the text it said sick. And when EMS talked to the caller, it was just a sick call. Or as you mentioned the INJMAJ just for a minor nosebleed.

I'm probably going to catch hell for this, but. Certain People (I'm leaving it very vague) call EMS thinking if they make up a big enough of a lie a Ambulance will get there quicker but they send a Engine to. Now people actually call EMS for real emergencies, I'm referring to the people who call in GSW's while all they got is a nosebleed. So while EMS got to come out for that, they miss out on real EMS Calls, and the Engine that has to deal with the people who don't have a real Emergency while they could be doing ANYTHING else. And in certain Engine Companies, espically Must Fill Houses this is a goddamn problem.

People in NYC know what words to say to get an ambulance there quick and it almost never fails that they don’t wanna go to the closest hospital because they won’t take care of them. And guess what we have to take them, leaving us out of service longer than we should be.
What happened to the 10 minute rule. Does that not apply any longer?