Chicago FD 135 Foot Rear Mount

l'm sure there's some, but don't know how common these higher ladders are, other than Chicago l know Syracuse had at least one in the 80's, l think it was Washington DC did too. lf more were in use, we would hear of more a floor or 2 above the norms l'm sure.

Toronto has a 230ft tower ladder in service, based on a commercial concrete pump truck. Not sure if thats a one-off design or a sign of things to come but I cant imagine it gets much use in its intended role.

OK, the Jewish Theological Seminary. So we will be using this rig every half century, give or take a decade.
That rig was also used for a rescue attempt at a residential hotel fire in Brooklyn Heights sometime around the mid 60's (i.e. before 119 got their first Tower Ladder). A Fireman named Rizzo and his lieutenant climbed to the tip of the fully extended aerial and tried to rescue a woman trapped by the fire. Ultimately the attempt was unsuccessful.

That rig was also used for a rescue attempt at a residential hotel fire in Brooklyn Heights sometime around the mid 60's (i.e. before 119 got their first Tower Ladder). A Fireman named Rizzo and his lieutenant climbed to the tip of the fully extended aerial and tried to rescue a woman trapped by the fire. Ultimately the attempt was unsuccessful.
You guys really know your history. 12/30/66. Lt Chicko and FF Rizzo.9A9CDA7A-1D1C-44FE-B707-AA41E03ABA43.jpeg

Was this the truck that had an elevator that rode to the top of the ladder? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.
The Mack Magirus Ladders had an elevator on them during the demonstration but they were removed before going In Service.

Toronto has a 230ft tower ladder in service, based on a commercial concrete pump truck. Not sure if thats a one-off design or a sign of things to come but I cant imagine it gets much use in its intended role.

Bronto Skylift has been offering for a few years now a 112 meter aerial platform. That's about a 350 ft. reach.
1668647670553.png

FDNY747 said: "Why does FDNY not get 1 or 2 of these for all the High Rises in Manhattan?"

I have no idea why FDNY doesn't get one, because I left NY in 1963 and haven't been back except for a few 2-3 day visits since, and because I'm not on the job anywhere, just a lifelong buff. But consider:
1. That beast has SEVEN axles, and is probably something like 10 feet longer than a 95' tower ladder. Even with the front two steering, imagine what it would be like trying to maneuver it on New York City streets, never mind the traffic.
2. Have you ever seen one set up? I have. The outriggers span is from here to Sunday. Most likely wouldn't be able to set it up on 70% of New York streets (again, ignoring the traffic and illegally parked cars & trucks).

FDNY747 said: "Why does FDNY not get 1 or 2 of these for all the High Rises in Manhattan?"

I have no idea why FDNY doesn't get one, because I left NY in 1963 and haven't been back except for a few 2-3 day visits since, and because I'm not on the job anywhere, just a lifelong buff. But consider:
1. That beast has SEVEN axles, and is probably something like 10 feet longer than a 95' tower ladder. Even with the front two steering, imagine what it would be like trying to maneuver it on New York City streets, never mind the traffic.
2. Have you ever seen one set up? I have. The outriggers span is from here to Sunday. Most likely wouldn't be able to set it up on 70% of New York streets (again, ignoring the traffic and illegally parked cars & trucks).
And what about the weight of this vehicle? And one more thing, it is cold, it is windy, you going up 350' in that thing. This vehicle has some serious limitations to its application with FDNY. There were occasions in Vietnam we were not that high!

Last edited:

And what about the weight of this vehicle? And one more thing, it is cold, it is windy, you going up 350' in that thing. This vehicle has some serious limitations to its application with FDNY. There were occasions in Vietnam we were not that high!
I had heard a former staff chief mention requesting one for a demo some years ago, but it didn’t go any farther.

Would one of the high pressure engines be able to supply a master stream with 350 ft. of lift?

mack

Administrator

Also:
Limited ability to carry normal ladder company tools, ladders, equipment, members.
Space required in firehouse.
Size limits ability to position at fire or incident
Slow response.
Limited application.
Cost.

Also:
Limited ability to carry normal ladder company tools, ladders, equipment, members.
Space required in firehouse.
Size limits ability to position at fire or incident
Slow response.
Limited application.
Cost.
It would fit in E207 and would be like a second piece for L110