Chicago FD Squads

As of today, 12-11-12 the CFD has placed an order with Rosenbauer America for four (4) 2 peice squad companies. These will go to Squads 1, 2, 5, and O'Hare but there is speculation another squad company will be located on the south side. Squad 5 has an a very large response area, a second unit would keep Sq 1 in the city proper. For engineer drawings and a lot of other info please go to ChicagoAreaFire.com for info. Plus info on ALL CFD rigs! GG

Bulldog

Bulldog
It will be interesting to see how the booms work out since they will be the first was produced.  I have to believe that a lot of reengineering will have to be done to the ones used for AARF in order to meet the safety requirements for the manned bucket.

grumpy grizzly said:
As of today, 12-11-12 the CFD has placed an order with Rosenbauer America for four (4) 2 peice squad companies. These will go to Squads 1, 2, 5, and O'Hare but there is speculation another squad company will be located on the south side. Squad 5 has an a very large response area, a second unit would keep Sq 1 in the city proper. For engineer drawings and a lot of other info please go to ChicagoAreaFire.com for info. Plus info on ALL CFD rigs! GG

Would they take a engine or ladder oos for the additional squad or new manpower??

grumpy grizzly said:
Read the comments regarding this. There are some good ideas and lots of info.
Sure are. I also heard somewhere that there are rumors that the 4th 2-piece Squad ordered will be the rotating Spare Squad, but I don't know how true that is.

Personnnal opinion, again my own opinion. 12-15 moths before rigs go in service. The "Squad" unit will carry 4+, the snorkel unit will be a 2 man unit. They will have to adjust their units to accomonadate a basket, they have made ladder/basket units working off a strong aerial unit but they have no experience using a basket off an articulating device. Gotta see. GG

CFD should de-activate an engine company and make another squad, like FDNY did with theirs. Squad 5 is almost everything south of 39th street, from city limits on the west to limits on the east. If Sq 5 is at the academy, Sq 1 covers their runs. Sq 1 @ 55 W Illinois, which is 100 W and 500N. Squad 5 is from 3900 South to 13700 South, 7200 West to 3200 East. Most of the western response is suburban companies but it shows how large their response area is. Example. 800 is one mile, north,south,east, west, just a geographical point of reference.