Citywide Lithium Ion Battery Fires

Article in The City explaining why the energy storage facilities using Lithium Ion batteries would be safer that the batteries used in ebikes.

Also attached is acopy of the FDNY rule regarding these facilities whioch requires constant monitoring and sproinkler systems and numerous other safeguards.

Attachments

• 3-rcny-608-01.pdf
    224.2 KB · Views: 16
Article in the City describing bills passed by NYC City Council to restrict sale of certain types of eBike battery, orders FDNY to report on Lithium Ion fires 5 times a year, and create a safety campaign.

"One bill, sponsored by Councilmember Oswald Feliz (D-The Bronx), limits the sale or rental of e-bikes and e-scooters, as well as the lithium-ion batteries that power them, to those certified by a nationally recognized fire safety organization. Violators — both the users and sellers — would be subject to fines up to $1,000. The bill would take effect six months after it becomes law."

"A second bill sponsored by Brewer prohibits the sale of “second-use” batteries that have been reassembled with cells from used batteries.Brewer admitted that the new regulations may present some hardships for delivery workers, including increased costs for the batteries certified to safety standards."

"Another bill sponsored by Brewer requires FDNY to create a public information campaign, and an additional measure sponsored by Avilés mandates the Department of Consumer and Worker Protection to provide guidance on best practices around storing, maintaining and charging batteries, with restaurants that employ delivery workers and third-party delivery services (like GrubHub) on the hook for distributing the material."

"Under a final bill, FDNY needs to report five times a year on battery-related fires and actions taken to decrease the risks, starting next year. This measure will “help the FDNY to stay ahead of the curve and be better prepared to respond to any incidents involving lithium-ion batteries,” bill sponsor Councilmember Robert Holden (D-Queens) said in a statement."

Staten Island Boro President Fossella continues to speak out against siting of Lithium Ion Energy Storage facilities on Staten Island. One facility has been completed and two are under construction within appox one mile of the quarters of Eng 162 L 82 BC 23 on Nelson Ave. One of the new facilities is practically across the street.

NYC Fire Wire
Past week of Li Ion battery fires.
4/25 Queens Box 9495
4/23 Bronx Box 2942
4/23 Manhattan Box 1582
4/22 Manhattan Box 0418
4/22 Brooklyn Box 2677 All Hands
4/21 Brooklyn Box 1301 All Hands
4/19 Queens Box 7467 All Hands

Lithium Battery fires are currently, under study by "U.L." = Underwriters Laboratories. At the U.L. facility just south of the Philadelphia, airport.
My grandson a Philadelphia firefighter, who works part time for U.L. and is currently involved in these studies.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

The poor NYC Police Officers have enough on the hands, now you expect them to enforce E-Bike regulations. The FDNY can try but remember in Private dwellings and the private apartments in multiple dwellings the FDNY does NOT normally have access, unless there is a fire or other emergency. Research by the Underwriters Labatory in there facility just south of Philadelphia is well under way. But U.L. can only test, set standards inform and advocate for greater safety. "NYC, WE HAVE A PROBLEM" Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired.

My first introduction to the lithium battery fire situation came several months ago when this website member, "Capttomo" presented an excellent program on a zoom sponsored by "jbendick".
From cell phones to e-bikes, I had no idea how quickly a fire could spread.
It certainly was a wake up call for me.

I want to THANK YOU "Capttomo" once again.
Unfortunately, as we are seeing here, "you were correct when it comes to this topic with people loosing their homes and their lives, as well as firefighters being hurt".
I wish the leadership in our major cities would spend some time watching your presentation.
But regardless, "it just can't keep going like this".