CITYWIDE RESPONSE TIMES WITH STATEN ISLAND AS THE WORSE

CITYWIDE RESPONSE TIMES WITH STATEN ISLAND AS THE WORSE: http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/02/si_fire_and_engine_companies_l.html#incart_most-commented_northshore_article

guitarman314 said:
CITYWIDE RESPONSE TIMES WITH STATEN ISLAND AS THE WORSE: http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/02/si_fire_and_engine_companies_l.html#incart_most-commented_northshore_article

As far as least active and most active fire companies in Staten Island, what the report did not mention was that Staten Island Engine Co 159 was actually in the TOP TEN GROUP CITYWIDE of companies that responded to the most All Hands or Greater Alarm Fires throughout the city.

As someone else mentioned earlier on another thread, it did not talk about the much greater area covered by many Staten Island Companies. Therefore taking longer to reach many scenes.

It also didn't mention that unlike most other areas of the city, the nearest Squad Co to respond to incidents in Staten Island, at times, is required to travel 25 plus miles from firehouse to the scene. And what about the amount of traffic. Certainly something that could very well be a factor in determining time as well.

Based on these facts, it also shows that many firefighters assigned to companies in Staten Island must work longer on the scene before any help can arrive. Therefore putting those firefighters, as well as civilians, at an even a bigger risk. The distance required to travel for these Staten Island companies doesn't make any mention of that as well.

The people of Staten Island can be very proud of the dedicated firefighters that they have. Those firefighters must work with the hand of cards that are dealt to them.

Every area of New York City has it's own problems as related to the fire service. There is no perfect system when it comes to providing fire protection for it's citizens. There are just too many variables that come into play. But one thing that I have been able to notice over many years of observing the operations of the FDNY. That one thing is that the people of New York City, regardless of what boro it is, has a Fire Department that I can safely say; "Is Second to None".

I have yet to see a SI company even  in the top 25 in the city in any fire related/runs/ workers category.  E159 is in the top 10 ?  I am tossing the BS flag.

enginecap said:
I have yet to see a SI company even  in the top 25 in the city in any fire related/runs/ workers category.  E159 is in the top 10 ?  I am tossing the BS flag.

"enginecap" - this was posted on another thread here. This is what was listed. Just passing it on. Eng 159 in the Top Ten - Citywide. I think "C'VILLE 7111" (below) is probably correct. May not be OFFICIAL but at least on this count Eng 159 is rated as in the Top Ten.

Top Ten Engine Cos response to All Hands or Greater Alarms:
1) E275 - 139 (All Hands or Greater Alarms)
2) E283 - 126    "                  "
3) E303 - 124    "                  "
4) E332 - 123    "                  "
5) E310 - 121    "                  "
6) E45 - 114      "                  "
7) E231 - 113    "                  "
8) E46 - 112      "                  "
9) E289/E317 - 109  "            "
10) E159 - 105  "                    "

Perhaps since E159 is the only one of the Satellite Engines (Satellite 5) that runs on all 7-5's as opposed to responding on the 2-2?  That might account for the larger numbers.

C'VILLE 7111 said:
Perhaps since E159 is the only one of the Satellite Engines (Satellite 5) that runs on all 7-5's as opposed to responding on the 2-2?  That might account for the larger numbers.

You hit the nail on the head.

Bottom line is, we on this island need more coverage, its been said over and over. Last nights state of the city cemented it even further, city government doesn't care about Staten Island. We barely got a mention, yet Brooklyn and Queens get a trolley. We have to hike all over on one train line and countless busses slammed in traffic. This island need more infrastructure attention.

NYBravest82 said:
Bottom line is, we on this island need more coverage, its been said over and over. Last nights state of the city cemented it even further, city government doesn't care about Staten Island. We barely got a mention, yet Brooklyn and Queens get a trolley. We have to hike all over on one train line and countless busses slammed in traffic. This island need more infrastructure attention.
Often wondered why SI is part of NY.  It is physically closer and has more bridges with NJ.  Has SI ever tried to secede?  Taxes would probably be less.  Would NYC let them go?  Does SI prefer NY over NJ?

fdhistorian said:
NYBravest82 said:
Often wondered why SI is part of NY.  It is physically closer and has more bridges with NJ.  Has SI ever tried to secede?  Taxes would probably be less.  Would NYC let them go?  Does SI prefer NY over NJ?

We tried to secede a few times but it didn't work

C'VILLE 7111 said:

Ah, I didn't know that.  Well that totally accounts for it...they go on as many 10-75s as R5 does and they prob get 10-2 a lot.  159 is in a nice neighborhood.....they are not getting any first due engine work

If you go to every 10-75 in the boro, your numbers will be high.  Not rocket science.

There is no statistic for which engine catches the most quality first due work.  That would mean something to a lot of people.