Cold weather firefighting

The photos are of FDNY Tower Ladder 124 "Tonka Truck" a great unit. I have had a few fires like this when I was a firefighter in Tower Ladder 18 on Manhattan Lower East side. The one i remember was the Hotel Gregory fire on the Prama nod on the waterfront of Brooklyn's downtown area Iin 1977. The wind chill was -37o Below. Surprising once you got covered with ice it blocked the wind and you were a little bit warmer.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

The photos are of FDNY Tower Ladder 124 "Tonka Truck" a great unit. I have had a few fires like this when I was a firefighter in Tower Ladder 18 on Manhattan Lower East side. The one i remember was the Hotel Gregory fire on the Prama nod on the waterfront of Brooklyn's downtown area Iin 1977. The wind chill was -37o Below. Surprising once you got covered with ice it blocked the wind and you were a little bit warmer.
Chicago early 80's Christmas Day. Actual temp was in the negative range, then you can begin to factor in the wind chill factor.

Attachments

• Christmas 3-11.jpg
    Christmas 3-11.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 10
Your correct about the cold but Hotel Gregory which was on 4th Ave, Bay Ridge section of Brooklyn. St George Hotel was on the Promenade section of Brooklyn Heights. St George fire was in Summer if I recall.
I was in L131 when we returned to quarters the rig was covered with inches of ice which we had to knock off with axes etc. also found the waterway frozen and used portable heaters to thaw it out. Didn’t make the members too happy as the heat in the house wasn’t very efficient and needed the heaters to keep warm.

I think it was the Hotel Margaret on the Brooklyn Promenade which caught fire in February, 1980.