CombinationFire company

I am somewhat confused by the concept of a Combination Fire Company, or a CFC. I will use CFC 121 for this post. 8-24-1974 both E-70 and L-53 were replaced by CFC 121, an engine and a tower ladder under the command of a single officer. I am confused, you removed an engine and a ladder and replaced them with an engine and a tower. Was the reasoning behind this was to replace the salary being paid to an officer? and in 1975 CFC 121 was disbanded and E-70 back in service several times without a ladder which required modifications to E-70 with additional portable ladders and later the addition of a Tele-Squrt. Seems like a lot of work to save the salary of a handful of company officers.

It was a flop...2 Units with only one Officer...the CFC had 4 CPTs assigned & no LTs so instead of 8 Officers assigned to the 2 Units you only had 4 CPTs total ....normally with 2 Units you would have either a CPT  or a LT on each one....as a result neither Unit could respond alone since there was only 1 Officer for both & a Unit cannot respond without an Officer... it was designed as supposed cost saving measure. 

grumpy grizzly said:
I am somewhat confused by the concept of a Combination Fire Company, or a CFC. I will use CFC 121 for this post. 8-24-1974 both E-70 and L-53 were replaced by CFC 121, an engine and a tower ladder under the command of a single officer. I am confused, you removed an engine and a ladder and replaced them with an engine and a tower. Was the reasoning behind this was to replace the salary being paid to an officer? and in 1975 CFC 121 was disbanded and E-70 back in service several times without a ladder which required modifications to E-70 with additional portable ladders and later the addition of a Tele-Squrt. Seems like a lot of work to save the salary of a handful of company officers.

^^^^^^35 Ft Portable setup similar to what 329 had on their early '80s Mack Pumper.