DC JAY JONAS RETIRES .

All the BEST Chief for a long, happy, and healthy, WELL DESERVED Retirement.

Also Chief, THANK YOU for providing us with your well written "DC Jonas's Division 7 Newsletter" which you have provided for us a huge wealth of information within the FDNY, that so many of us have benefited from over the years.

I have NOT forgotten your amazing story of the 9/11 attack when one of the towers collapsed on top of you, as you and the members of FDNY's Ladder 6 were in the process of rescuing a woman in the stairway between the 2nd and 4th floors.

Several years ago, myself and some members of this site, were introduced to you by our good friend, Retired FDNY Member, Dan Potter
That sure was a Great Day for us and certainly an HONOR to meet you.

You explained to us the long hard work and research that goes into each "Division 7 Newsletter" before it is produced.
We also talked about some of the incidents that the FDNY has handled over the years.

THANK YOU Chief

I would also like to thank this web site member Mike Dick, aka "mikeindabronx", who has faithfully provided us with your "Division 7 Newsletter" over the years.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
FROM FDNY:

“I came on the job in the fall of 1979 and went to probie school, I was assigned to Engine 46 in the Bronx. I then was assigned to Ladder 27 and then Rescue 3. During this time we had a lot of fire activity in the Bronx. In 1986 I was promoted to Lieutenant and assigned to Ladder 11 and then was promoted to Captain and commanded Ladder 6 in Chinatown. On 9/11/01 I responded as the Captain of Ladder 6, we survived the collapse in the stairwell, 110 stories had collapsed on top of us. Luckily me and my Firefighters were rescued along with a civilian that we had been carrying down the stairs when the building has collapsed. I was humbled by the people who I saw working that day who are no longer with us, the brave actions that were being taken under unimaginable stress were extraordinary. Shortly after I was promoted to Battalion Chief, and then was promoted to Deputy Chief. I was assigned to Division 7 in the Bronx. In 2014 I started the Division 7 Training and Safety Newsletter, a monthly training publication that was distributed to the companies in the Division and throughout the department. I focused on historical and significant fires and emergencies where I could share some of the lessons learned with Firefighters and Fire Officers throughout the Department. The people who I was exposed to over the years is what made this job so great and influenced me so positively. As a Chief being able to lead Firefighters and Fire Officers who made such a valiant effort everyday on behalf of the people of New York City. It gave me a sense of immense pride, I will surely miss this job,” said FDNY Deputy Chief John “Jay” Jonas Division 7 Commander who is retiring today after nearly 43 years of service to the City of New York. The FDNY wishes Deputy Chief Jonas a happy and healthy retirement.
_nc_ohc=DWOEV4ZFYJoAX9jZb0C&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=zhPb82GD-x0AX-RZZtv&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=EtC10IOWP-YAX_uYan4&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=ZUGAwnxv6IIAX-ZMSmh&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=GA3aYay3V20AX-IcwKh&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg

With his leadership, knowledge and experience he should have been at least a Deputy Assistant Chief. A well deserved Retirement. Enjoy it.

Gonna Miss You by 63 & 39. If You can please keep the News letters coming they are and education in the making. Enjoy Your much deserved Retirement Chief.

All the BEST Chief for a long, happy, and healthy, WELL DESERVED Retirement.

Also Chief, THANK YOU for providing us with your well written "DC Jonas's Division 7 Newsletter" which you have provided for us a huge wealth of information within the FDNY, that so many of us have benefited from over the years.

I have NOT forgotten your amazing story of the 9/11 attack when one of the towers collapsed on top of you, as you and the members of FDNY's Ladder 6 were in the process of rescuing a woman in the stairway between the 2nd and 4th floors.

Several years ago, myself and some members of this site, were introduced to you by our good friend, Retired FDNY Member, Dan Potter
That sure was a Great Day for us and certainly an HONOR to meet you.

You explained to us the long hard work and research that goes into each "Division 7 Newsletter" before it is produced.
We also talked about some of the incidents that the FDNY has handled over the years.

THANK YOU Chief

I would also like to thank this web site member Mike Dick, aka "mikeindabronx", who has faithfully provided us with your "Division 7 Newsletter" over the years.
Ill echo Willy D's comments. It really was an honour to meet Chief Jonas's that day and listen to him

Wishing him a very healthy retirement

On a side note from the top pic its great to see Ret COD Hayden looking so well. A friend to many on here and a good man