Dealing with the media on fire and emergency scenes

Hello, I'm sure you all have had to deal with the media on fire and other emergency scenes on a regular basis. Are they respectful about boundaries or do they push it? Finally has a member of the media gotten in the way? Thanks.

As a photojournalist, I always make myself aware of the dangers and try to stay as safely away as I can from any scene. This is why zoom lenses were created. No need to make myself a part of the problem. I've been to more than enough fires and emergency scenes to know where and when to place myself.

An interesting story from one of the security guards at work who is retired CPD. Once when he was working a fire scene and had the road blocked with his squad car, a TV news truck drove around him and over a charged hose line. The news crew was ticketed and got royally chewed out by his SGT.

You can’t ignore them, and you’re better giving them clear concise correct information so the story goes out your way. If you ignore them they will make it up themselves or ask some “eyewitness” who is usually the lowest common denominator and knows less then them. Put up fire line tape, send a chief or the PIO over to them, ask them what there time frame is tell them you will be with them shortly. Talk to your other chiefs or the IC figure out the message then walk over and deliver the message. It never hurts to ask them ahead of time what they are gonna ask you. Always worked for me.

Interesting fact that goes into this topic, the helicopter/traffic reporter for the CBS station in the Chicago area is a volunteer firefighter for the Kirkland fire department in Dekalb county IL.