DEATH OF BRONX SUPERVISING DISPATCHER # 10

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I am sorry to inform you that in the past hour Sol Elbaum, Supervising Dispatcher # 10 / FDNY,  has passed away.

Solly suffered two heart attacks today. One at the nursing home & the second at St Luke's Hospital.
Since the fire, about 6 years ago, he has not spent one day out of a hospital or a nursing home.

I would like to thank all of you for keeping Sol all these years in your prayers. For those who took the time out to stop by & pay him a visit, Thank you!

I have known Sol for almost 50 years, first meeting him in person back in the early sixty's. He indeed was a great friend & a true supporter of FDNY & Bronx History.

Learned a lot from Solly, and his penchant for baloney sandwiches. May he rest in eternal peace. Atlas, could you let me know what the arrangements are via pm, please??

I knew Solly a long time, enjoyed trading stories with him. He was Mr Suggestion.
Rest In Eternal Peace Solly you were one of a kind.  Condolences to the family and Extended family in Communications.

Jack O'Reilly

I never had the opportunity to meet Solly. But I remember hearing him on the scanner.

Rest in Peace and Thank you for your service to the City of New York.

I remember being at a Fire Belll Club annual dinner at the Marina del Rey in da Bronx several years ago when Solly had an attack of some nature.  Da brothers from Engine 72 came to his rescue and he was transported to the hospital.  RIP, Solly.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
SOL ELBAUM
SUPERVISING FIRE ALARM DISPATCHER
FDNY

I am sorry to report the passing of Sol Elbaum this past Sunday, October 16, 2011, a month short of his 77th birthday.

There will be a gravesite service for Sol Elbaum, long time member of FDNY' Dispatching Force and loyal supporter of The Bronx County Historical Society on Friday, October 21, 2011.  The service will take place at noon at  Cedar Park Cemetery (#201-262-1128) in Paramus, New Jersey. If you plan on attending please gather at 11:45 a.m. at the cemetery's enterence.

Directions to the Cedar Park Cemetery
FROM GEORGE WASHINGTON BRIDGE:  Follow signs to Route 4 West  (approximately 7 miles from bridge).  Exit at Forest Avenue, Maywood/Westwood (just past MALL AT IV, on right-hand side).  Bear right toward Westwood upon exiting, heading north on Forest Avenue.  Approximately 4 miles from Route 4 on Forest Avenue, you will see cemetery beginning at the intersection of Forest Avenue and Soldier Hill Road.  Continue on Forest Avenue to the main cemetery gates on your left.  The administration building for Cedar Park and Beth-El is directly ahead as you enter.  Follow signs for visitors parking.

In adition, plans are being developed with the Bronx County Historical Society to hold a Memorial Service in the Spring of 2012 in The Bronx to honor Sol.