Electric Aerial

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the world first full electric ladder truck owned by the city of Zurich, Switzerland. The politics passed a rule, so the city is not allowed to buy gas engines anymore. Every new vehicle must be electric. so police, fire and ems must change to all electric. zurich city pd uses audi e-tron already. Text courtesy Manu Ae.

!.jpg

Nice post Ray. It won’t be long before the State of California does the same. It will be interesting to see how this all works out over the long term. Happy Holidays

Don't know about y'all, but there's no way I'd go in to attack a fire knowing that the pump on the other end of my line is running on batteries. I'm very much in support of moving away from fossil fuels where it makes sense, but this is one place it still doesn't. What about extended operations? Would a unit need to go OOS for an hour after returning from a job to get their rig's battery charged back up enough to be useful at the next job? At the very least I think you'd want a power connection for a pumper at every hydrant so that they're running on mains power. But then what if the job's a transformer fire and power on the block is out? Or what if the local youth decide to bring back the 70's next time there's a blackout?

I'm pretty unabashedly liberal, but this is the kinda crap that gives us a bad name. I could see electric NYPD patrol cars making sense given the lower power demands. Maybe even non-ALS busses could get by with electric, but that's ok until we get something like Sandy again that knocks out electricity to large parts of the city.

Don't know about y'all, but there's no way I'd go in to attack a fire knowing that the pump on the other end of my line is running on batteries. I'm very much in support of moving away from fossil fuels where it makes sense, but this is one place it still doesn't. What about extended operations? Would a unit need to go OOS for an hour after returning from a job to get their rig's battery charged back up enough to be useful at the next job? At the very least I think you'd want a power connection for a pumper at every hydrant so that they're running on mains power. But then what if the job's a transformer fire and power on the block is out? Or what if the local youth decide to bring back the 70's next time there's a blackout?

I'm pretty unabashedly liberal, but this is the kinda crap that gives us a bad name. I could see electric NYPD patrol cars making sense given the lower power demands. Maybe even non-ALS busses could get by with electric, but that's ok until we get something like Sandy again that knocks out electricity to large parts of the city.
That's something that probably isn't talked about enough, how at risk our power infrastructure is. Between natural disasters, terrorism and even solar flares it's incredible we aren't living in the stone age again.

That's something that probably isn't talked about enough, how at risk our power infrastructure is. Between natural disasters, terrorism and even solar flares it's incredible we aren't living in the stone age again.
I agree with how fragile our infrastructure is. I live between two mid size cities, Peoria and Normal, but 10 miles N or S is farmland. Our main worry is the weather. a few years ago we had an ice storm that affected this area for 5 days, fortunately not us. And as for the future of fire apparatus, remember less than 100 years ago we had horses pulling our rigs and hand cranking the aerials!

I think if you ignore what your media says and actually talk to liberals about issues, you'll find they're out to improve the USA using ideas you mostly agree with. The problem with our government is that it's set up to serve the interests of giant corporations and the billionaires on their boards, and definitely not ours. If you ask me, there's plenty of blame for that to go around, but it's not evenly distributed between right and left.
And your statements prove that if one ignores or denies the truth, or has no clue what's really going on, you'll think exactly the way you think.

mack

Administrator
Thread closed - political debates better posted elsewhere - let's stay in the holiday spirit - best wishes to all!

Status
Not open for further replies.