EMS stations

NV, are you speaking specifically about FDNY units or a a whole with the voluntary hospital units included?

NV, there are 34 EMS stations in FDNY.  6 in Manhattan, 9 in the Bronx, 9 in Brooklyn, 8 In Queens and 2 in Staten Island.

As for the number each runs, it's hard to tell an exact number due to units being increased, decreased in the grand scheme of things and as I said in another thread I retired in 2009 so I don't really know what's what now.

Thanks for the info, What I was tring to find out is are there only one med unit in each station like on third watch or is the multiple units like we run here in Nevada with up to three ambulances in a station with a engine in a station?

Again THANKS for the reply!

NVEMTIFFII said:
Thanks for the info, What I was tring to find out is are there only one med unit in each station like on third watch or is the multiple units like we run here in Nevada with up to three ambulances in a station with a engine in a station?

Again THANKS for the reply!

If you are asking if the ambulances run out of fire stations like they do in many other cities, in NYC, they do NOT. There are seperate Fire Houses with Fire Apparatus, and totally seperate EMS Stations with ambulances. The EMS stations have only ambulances assigned, generally a half dozen or so.

Except for the name, The FDNY, and the FDNY/EMS, are completely seperate.

Operating out of each station are BLS and ALS ambulances, they go to a specific area and respond from that location, they only use station to restock and switch tours, the bosses respond from the stations unless they are out roving. Hope this helps.

Gentlemen, there are only two combination Fire/EMS stations in NYC. That being EMS Station 23 in Rossville, Staten Island which is quartered with E168 and EMS Station 47 in Rockaway, Queens who are quartered with L121/E265 and the 47 Batt.

Thanks Memory, thats realy difrent then anything out here. We either have combo fire/EMS stations, or private only EMS ambulance companies. Also in some of the poorer counties they run county owned ambulances crewd with paid medics/EMT as county employees.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
From info that is a year old:
Manhattan - FDNY = 29 BLS  &  13 ALS    VOLUNTARY = 20 BLS & 16 ALS
BRONX                    40            22                                12            7
Brooklyn                  53            26                                18            11
Queeens                  32            16                                20            12
Staten Is                  06            04                                07            04

THESE FIGURES HAVE CHANGED IN THE PAST YEAR. This is only to give you an ideal of how many units are on the street.
There are two new EMS stations under construction Batt 3 (Bronx) & Batt 35 (Brooklyn).
Rescue 3 new quarters are only about 100 feet from EMS station # 18.

Boy Staten Island has next to nothing and Manhattan dose not seem to have nearly enough units. Ive never been to New York, hope to so I do not know but Im supprised

On numerous occassions Brooklyn units have been relocated to Staten Island when there was a heavy call volume and no S.I. units available. And of course fate would have the next serious job in the far reaches of Tottenville.