Engine 45 (lime green)

Bulldog

Bulldog
Every time I see a lime green firetruck I think how glad I am that it went away quite rapidly and never became the new standard color for firetrucks! One of the voucher for I was in in upstate New York received 3 new Pierce engines in that color and everybody thought they were completely ugly. Fortunately after about 3 or 4 years they were repainted to the standard white over red that everything else in the district was!

Earlier discussion of "The Lime Yellow Experiment" on this site beginning March 14, 2010.

http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php?topic=5308.0

I was detailed to E 45 and had the pleasure of driving the green machine one day tour with war years boss Capt. "The Duke". I was used to driving E 88 which was an American La France then. The difference was acceleration. The ALF took off gradually like a bus, whereas the Mack wanted to "peel out" and take off. I had to make an adjustment pretty darn quick...

Detailed another time, I also received a company unit citation working back step with an outstanding "Eagles" crew with this rig. 

Boston received 3 1978 1500GPM Hahns delivered in lime yellow. Companies were 18, 37, and 52, thankfully they were later done right!