Ernie Pyle 4-18-1945

On 4-18-1945 correspondent Ernie Pyle was killed by a Japanese sniper on the island of Ie Shima, off the island of Okinowa. Ernie was the dog-faced G.I. best friend. He had covered the war in Europe and now he felt obligated to show the horrors of the war in the Pacific. The USMC maintains a small detachment on the island, every year they hold a ceremony on this date. My son was stationed there and he did participate in it. There was a movie made about him with Burgess Meredith.
What I found interesting about Ernie involved "combat pay". In WWII USAAF aircrews received "flight pay" for flying combat missions. However ground troops did not receive any additional compensation. When Ernie found out about this he petitioned Congress to correct this, and in 1944 "combat pay" was authorized. I think now it is called "hazardous duty pay" and it is tax-free for enlisted members.

There is a large building within the grounds of what was formerly Fort Totten in Bayside, Queens which is named after Ernie Pyle.

I used to live about 45 minutes from where he grew up in Dana, Indiana.  Ernie Pyle is a huge name in Indiana.  He is one of the greatest Hoosiers ever.

I believe so.  I know of many other things that are.  The Indiana University School of Journalism amongst other things are named after him. The VFW Ernie Pyle Post on the near south side of Indy was the first VFW Post to open in 1945 after WWII.

My father gave me several of his books and collected war-time newspaper columns.  Ernie Pyle was one of the most brilliant writers to ever touch a keyboard and had the God-given talent of making any topic and even the smallest detail sere itself into the reader's memory.  American literature and writing style was truly blessed by his presence.

Thank you, grumpy, for reminding us of what this day means.