FallBack 3

Can you please explain what this entails? I skimmed the Operational Reference Guide (7Ed) and found no mention.

During Fallback step 3 responses to calls are changed according to the dispatchers manual or something like that. For example instead of getting 3 and 2 with chief on a possible structure i believe you get 1 and 1 with chief (correct me if im wrong). If it turns out to be a 10-75 then you get the normal 4 and 3 rescue squad battalion and division. An oder of gas will get 1 and 1 and so on.

J

ja488

All structural and other non structural responses that would normally recieve a minimum of 2 Engines and 1 truck with the chief get 1+1 with the chief. Highways get their normal response.
For instance, last night, there was a report of a "possible" collapse on 4th ave and union street, batt. 32 had TL-105 and Sq-1 assigned instead of the collapse matrix.

Fallback:
Step 1: In effect daily from I believe 0800 to 2300 - no response to ERS boxes were there is no contact made.

Step 2: In addition to Step 1, only 1 engine is sent out on a mechanical pull box.  Other street box assignments may also be adjusted accordingly.  I have never heard Fallback 2 being implemented.

Step 3: In addition to Step 2, only minimum response of 1 engine, 1 truck, and 1 battalion on a reported structural box with single source.  Additional companies may be assigned on the discretion of the dispatcher or requested by the battalion chief should additional information be received.  Usually implemented when a borough is experiencing a shortage of available companies and multiple open response areas.

Only Queens, Brooklyn and SI have pull boxes now. What ends up happening is we go right from Step 1 to Step 3 when things start getting very busy. Heavy fire activity, storms, and stuff in that category will put us in FB3.

The only exceptions to Fallback3 are highways and bridges. Schools and hospitals get only 1+1 also. No 10-14 engines are sent.

The Fallback protocol was written long before SOC turned into the proverbial 800 Lb gorilla it is today. I have yet to see for myself whether SOC responses override Fallback.

We had a storm blow through one night. Went to FB3, I had a couple of incidents that were probably SOC matrix worthy and used my discretion on what to send from the inital call. While the 800 pound gorilla is always sitting in the corner, I feel that the Supervisor has the final word on out of the ordinary stuff like that.