Family Transport Units

Saw this interesting Family Transport Unit today in New City (Rockland) on my way to work. How many of these do they have ?

2010-12-09143336.jpg

yea theres a bunch I myself have never used them but they pick up LODD/Injured FF family members for charity events or to hospitals etc..

There are many of these very useful vehicles which are funded w/funds from outside the FDNY budget.......the program was started back in the '90 s by Ret. FDNY LT. Patrick Concannon......he & the FireFighter Family Transport Foundation also had the "343" Pumper restored & they are in the process of restoring a more current Pumper to be used as a Funeral Caison in situations where the FDNY will not provide one for Funerals that they refuse to consider Line Of Duty such as the many that have occured since 9-11 to Ret. Members who sucumbed to Cancers etc........the transport vehicles are used to transport Members & or Families to hospitals .....chemotherapy.....Funerals......etc.....etc.....they are generally stored at FHs........some are Sedans ....some are vans......some are suburbans......some red.... some white....some black.....all w/some type FD logo.....& some have very nice murals painted on them in memory of 9-11  Members who some are dedicated for.......it would be real nice if someone could undertake a project to photograph ALL of the fleet w/closeups of the murals........ also put this Fund down alongside the Thomas Elsasser Fund as a worthy donation to anyone inclined....................i am pretty sure if a serious photographer contacted them something could be set up since they would probably like the pictures for fundraising. http://www.firefamilytransport.org/

I'm sure if Rockland reached out to a certain dispatcher or Hackensack Firefighter he knows, this may be able to get done.

If the foundation ever wants a photo shoot I would be more then happy to take a ride down to the city to do it. Where are they based out of ?

I added a direct link to their site in the start of this thread.... hope it works out...i dont know the logistics of getting all vehicles in one spot...may require some leg work .....they should have answers.

I have posted this on some other sites i frequent & i will paste it on here----------------------------------------------------
http://www.firefamilytransport.org/flash/ironsteel/ Here is a link to a slide show of the '08 Iron& Steel Run from NYC to Shanksville PA. provided by the FDNY Fire Family Transport....they are up to 17 Transport Vehicles & the 343 Tribute Pumper & are working on an updated Funeral Caison Pumper for Deaths not provided by FDNY s Caison......after viewing the Run ...click back to the Homepage for more info & pictures as well as Donation Info....I feel this ranks along w/the Elsasser Non Line Of Duty Widows & Childrens Fund as an underbenefited FDNY Charity Organization ......Both should recieve as much support as possible as they benefit FDNY Members & their Families directly......i am not saying that other Funds such as the NY FF Burn Center should be overlooked but they are on a National scale & get a lot of well deserved donations....i just feel these two are more on a "grass roots " level that should be elevated somewhat......Mention both of them when someone says "what can we do to help "......passing the "HELMET" at this years upcoming Holiday parties would be a good gesture. ......THANK YOU & HAPPY HOLIDAYS & NEVER FORGET !

HCO

As of early October, Fire Family Transport operated 11 vans, three Suburbans, three sedans, one wagon, and one SUV in addition to the parade pumper.  The funeral pumper project has not been completed.