Father's Day Fire - June 17, 2001

I will never forget where I was. Manhattan CO, Decision Dispatcher. Had R-1 tied up on a possible scaffolding collapse downtown, with another one coming in up in Harlem. R-1 became available, we sent them. Dennis Mojica(RIP) was the boss in 1. R-4 was turned around and went into the job in Queens. We saw the units come up for the 2nd Alarm, then almost immediately, the Starfire screen showed 4th, but no units assigned. Rich Pressler, Supervising Dispatcher(Now Chief Dispatcher) said, "Don't do anything til you see the units drop!!!" In the event the 4th alarm was an accidental entry, instead of a 10-44 for an ambulance. Then the units came up, and two struck my eye. Rescue 3 with the Collapse Unit, and Haz Mat. Right there, I knew things had to gone to shit.

We were getting information slowly, we either got a phone call or a visit from one of the on duty chief dispatchers, One Firefighter DOA, One in Traumatic Arrest, and one missing. Staging Areas were set up at 35 Engine, 83 Engine, and 238 Engine. I remember Dennis Mojica and Al Hagan from 43 Truck calling and begging to go, then more companies calling, wanting to go.

I got out of work a few hours later, and headed home. I spoke to my mother as FF Fahey was being removed from the debris. She had spoken to my brother, who at the time was a Medic out of Bellevue, and he was at the scene. He said he had never seen so many rigs before in one place. By this time, the sun, which had been hiding behind storm clouds and rain all day, was setting. The 5-5-5-5 went out a few hours later. It's never a good feeling, second guessing yourself wondering if that one little press of the button, or words on the radio, just sent someone to their death. It's something us dispatchers have to deal with and live with. A little bit of faith, and a bit more Jack Daniels has gotten me through.

RIP Fellas, we got it from here.