Favorite FDNY book?

Lets see what we come with up.
How has a favorite FDNY related book.
My 2 top choices are, Report from E82, o'course.
2-- The Last Man Out by Tom Downey.
What's yours?

I love Harry Ahearns `The Fire Factory` outstanding book. I have just finished reading two FDNY books which you guys have probably read, but in case you havent - I thoroughly suggest you do!

George Pickett's `The Brave` and `Braving The Flames` by Peter Micheels.

The two books by Phil Burns: "Laughter, Tears and Muffled Drums" and :Bringing Everyone Home"

Although they're mostly photos, I'd have to say: "First Due" by Alex Donchin along with "FIRE!" by Steven Scher

B

Bigandy

'Firehouse' by David Halberstam

I can recommend another fire related book, 'Rescue Men' by Charles Kenney, about the Cocount Grove Fire, and the busy years of the Boston Fire Department

Good book for FDNY action pictures is, New YorK Life Savers by Steve Spak.

"Our Firemen - The History of the New York Fire Departments From 1609 to 1887", Author: A. E. Costello; originally published in 1887

1) would have to be "FDNY: New York's Bravest" by George Hall and Thomas K. Wanstall, a book I  read as a teenager that left me in awe of the department, and

2) the operational reference by James Griffiths, wich keeps me in awe of the department

Fire Factory by Harry Ahearn and Report from Engine Company 82 and The Bravest.

I am waiting for My Turn On the Firelines to arrive, so hopefully that turns out to be a good read.

JT

How about Gus Johnson's book FDNY the fire buffs handboook 1900-1975, Fire house by Smith/Freedman, FDNY Bravest tradition by Tufte, Fire by Scher, First Due by Donchin ;D

"20,000 Alarms" by Lt.Dick Hamilton & "Report From Engine Company 82" by Dennis Smith. Honorable mention: "Report from Ground Zero" by Dennis Smith.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Its interesting to see what your replies are, but each book is different.

If you were not in the fire service at all, FDNY - NY Bravest by George Hall & Tom Wanstall would be the first book to read so that your would be able to understand what is written in the remaining novels.

In the field of FDNY History - Costello's book covers the first part of FDNY followed by Gus Johnson master piece brings you all the up to 1975 if I remember correctly in the history of the department.

Jim Griffiths Operational Guide gives you an up to date look at the procedures & the operations of FDNY.

But the grand-daddy of them all, the one that had to open the field to all the novels by various firefighters, officers, & even buffs is Dennis Smith's Report from Engine 82. It was on the NY Times best selling list for several weeks. This book is what paved the way for him to open up the magazine known as Fire House.

However, Fire Engineering was published long before Fire House, but its written for a more serious fire service reader.

If you like to read & want to make an interesting comparison between two writers after reading Report from Engine 82, read Tom Walker's 'Fort Apache'. They are written about the same area of the South Bronx during the same time period, but the authors have totally different views. Tom who has written several books was a police captain in the 41 during the busy days. the two authors write from different view points and they give you a good insight to what was happening on the streets during the busy years.

After reading both books you might now want to eat another hot dog again. If you read either book, you might remember why I am leaving you with that comment. If not, find out why!!!!

I will have to try and get that book "Fort Apache". I heard about it, but never got it.
  As I read about all of these books, No surprise. Being born during the right time as a Baby Boomer (1949), I have accumulated all of the above mentioned books. Recently I went through the collection, and came across a book called "Ladder Co 108" by Ronda Beame. I believe she was the daughter of the late Mayor Beame who actually closed 50 companies during the 70s budget crisis.
  The book has all black and white pictures and explains the job that these firefighters did on a daily basis. It is actually a very good book and I believe this was one of my first. As a young kid, I remember going to the library and taking out a very similiar book on Rescue 1. I don't remember its name but I would take it out week after week. I used to get it from the childrens section, so I believe it was more designed as a career type book.
  I also went to the library with my father (a firefighter of Bridgeport, Ct) and we would get to read the Fire Engeering Magazine there. You had to read it there and couldn't take it out. I always looked forward to those trips.
  I do have to agree that "Report from Engine 82" was the one that really got books on fire depts rolling. Before that, not many books at all.
  Sorry for getting a little carried away. I guess I've just loved this stuff for years, and I guess I was just born "under the right stars".

How about Firehouse by Jill Freeman and Dennis Smith. An Outstanding book of photographs covering the men and apparatus of the FDNY units in the South Bronx. As a kid growing up, I carried that book everywhere I went. "Fire" was another great book of photographs.

Does anyone remember "Firehouse Trivia" by William J. Geis  copyright 1985.......Opportunities Unlimited Publishing Co......P.O. Box 240  Bullville N.Y. 10915...........Library Of Congress Catalog Card  # 85-91575.......there are 1250 questions & answers from the history of Firefighting, to apparatus, equiptment , tactics & much more. Each chapter is preceded by a text , with insights into a dangerous but sometime humerous profession.......the author is a friend of mine since childhood he did over 20 years in the FDNY starting with me in 1968.. he was a....FF LAD*26-2......FF LAD*22.....& LT LAD*17.......i dont know where copies would still be available but it is an interesting & informative book for those interested in the Fire Service.

Speaking of favorite FDNY book I lent my copy of a Buffs guide to FDNY 1900-75. I do not have the person's address because the computer I used then is now OOS. Help someone??

From the "Oldies" Department, these are some I have, most very exciting writing with contemporary photos/illustrations, all concentrating on FDNY.  I remember getting some from the local library - over and over - in the 1950s.  They are all worth trying to find.

Fire Fighters and Their Pets, Alfred M Downes (1907)
Fire Fighting, Jos. J. O'Reilly (1911)
Fighting A Fire, Chas. T Hill (1912)
Boys Book of Firemen, Irving Crump (1916)
Our Firemen, Irving Crump (1938)
Fighting Fire, Burr Leyson (1943)
Five Alarm, John J Floherty, (1949)

Not specifically about FDNY, but interesting and written by Chief of Department (1911-1931) John Kenlon are Fires and Fire Fighters (1913), and Fourteen Years a Sailor (1923) about his pre-FDNY years as a merchant sailor in the 19th Century.

Braving The Flames: Peter Micheels is an excellent book, and one I couldnt put down, although I have to say, my two Harry Ahearn books are my favourite FDNY's.