Favorite FDNY book?

BritishAndy said:
Braving The Flames: Peter Micheels is an excellent book, and one I couldnt put down, although I have to say, my two Harry Ahearn books are my favourite FDNY's.

Yes, Braving the Flames was a Great Book

Just finished reading So Others Might Live by Terry Golway, WAS A GREAT BOOK on the History of the FDNY, recommend it to anyone that has a interest in FDNY History.

wow,  I gotta  say  I 'm  more diverse  then I imagined  book wise 

Firehouse
Fire
5  alarm  (1948)
NY's Bravest
are  many of the ones  I have  and love 
anyone  ever  Heard of 

AS you  Pass  BY  (1952)
By Kenneth  H. Dunshee
Hastings  house  pub    It was sponsored  by the HOME  Insurance  Co to tell  the history of  the old  NY  fire department during  the 1830's awesome  referance on  the  old  hand tub  companies and  hook  n  ladders

While not about FDNY, I just finished reading Capitol City Fireman by Jake Rixner. It was a very good book about his career in Richmond, Va. It details the 80's and early 90's in Richmond, which surprisingly were quite busy. I never realized that Richmond had a "War Years" as well.

kidfrmqns said:
While not about FDNY, I just finished reading Capitol City Fireman by Jake Rixner. It was a very good book about his career in Richmond, Va. It details the 80's and early 90's in Richmond, which surprisingly were quite busy. I never realized that Richmond had a "War Years" as well.

A little off subject here, but yes Brian, other cities also had their share of War Years. You can read about a few of them on the Thread called "The Other War Years" on here under "National". Many cities were burning during that time, and I also heard that Richmond was one of them.
  If you are really interested, I wrote about the Bridgeport (Ct) War Years on another site called www.ctfire-ems.com . Just go to search and type in "Bridgeport War Years".

I'd like to cast a few votes:

1. Book I use very much:
"The Firefighter's Cookbook"
by John Sineno E-58

2. Book I respect very much:
"Brotherhood"
by Frank McCourt

3. Book I've worn out very much:
"An Operational Reference" 4th Edition
by James S. Griffith

KickAssBlaster said:
"20,000 Alarms" by Lt.Dick Hamilton & "Report From Engine Company 82" by Dennis Smith. Honorable mention: "Report from Ground Zero" by Dennis Smith.

I agree with you very much on those three and would have to say Rescue Men also if I have the title right.

Dennis Smith's books are classics....but also in my fav's is "The Usual" John Finucane and I'm sure JK remembers "Fireman" by George Kreuscher

BFD389 said:
AS you  Pass  BY  (1952)
By Kenneth  H. Dunshee
Hastings  house  pub    It was sponsored  by the HOME  Insurance  Co to tell  the history of  the old  NY  fire department during  the 1830's awesome  referance on  the  old  hand tub  companies and  hook  n  ladders

I understand when As You Pass By was published sales did not anywhere reach the amount of books printed, so a free copy was given to every member of FDNY.

grumpy grizzly said:
Speaking of favorite FDNY book I lent my copy of a Buffs guide to FDNY 1900-75. I do not have the person's address because the computer I used then is now OOS. Help someone??

Did you ever get that book back ???