FDNY Aren't the Only Ones Who Use Nolan Carts

Seen at the Atlantic Ave Barclays center R, D, N platform. Track maintenance folks?

4.jpg

Yep, I've saw MTA workers pushing those all the time at 106th street on the 1 when they were doing signal work

Railroads having been using small man pushed or small powered rail born "Speeders" for many years. The Nolan car a mainly just a lightweight version of those man pushed Maintenace devices used by railroads for years. I addition to the FDNY I have been a railfan for years and have ridden on "Speeders" and hand pumped "Hand cars" a few times. The Metro Transit Authority at one time had a Hi-rail small Pumper that was designed so it could run on railroad tracks to the scene of a fire or other emergency. Does anyone know if it is still in service? Here are some web photos of a Bangor & Aroostook Railroad Speeder, a Burlington Northern Santa Fa high rail crane, and a Canadian National RR High rail inspection vehicle.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retiredBAR Speeder.jpgBNSF Hi-rail-crane-truck.jpgCN #26 Pontiac rail-car-station-wagon.jpg

dan

FDNY got the idea from the railroads....not the other way around......

You really believe the Nolan chat came first. I’m sure it’s been a staple of the TA maintenance fleet for many many years …..way before Nolan but his name on a fire department modified version.

Last edited: