mack

Administrator

FDNY Service Line of Duty Deaths

November 29, 1947 - LODDs
FDNY. Manhattan, New York

Fireman Jacob Bassmann - Ladder 26
Fireman Howard E. Wynn - Ladder 26

BASS (2).jpg

Firemen Bassmann and Wynn died as a result of injuries they sustained the previous day, when the roof they were operating on collapsed during a five-alarm fire.

RIP. Never forget.

BASSMAN.jpg

WYNN 3.jpg

Last edited:
Oddly, both members lived in Parkchester. Coincidence, or could they have been friends and FF Wynn infiuenced FF Bassman to join him at L26 in Harlem?
L26 was the busiest truck company on the job at the time. But L27, the house from which FF Bassman transferred, was no camp. They ran 1st or 2d due from the Harlem to the Bronx Rivers with then single engines 42, 43, 45, and 48.

Last edited:
It's possible that they were sent there as a punishment for UFA activism. I've heard that it used to happen fairly often and the working companies like 58/26 were a place they would send you. And at the time, 1947, I don't think the idea of going to busy house was in a lot of minds like it is now.

My Father was in LAD*43 at this Fire...he was on the Roof with another FF when they realized they were trapped as Fire had come out the front blocking the Aerial .....as they were searching for another way off they came across a civilian on the Roof releasing his pigeons from coops that were there....they asked him how he got there & he showed them a plank spanning an alley between the Plumbing Supply bldg & his bldg....they used this plank to get off the Roof before the collapse.....I seem to remember it being the Star Plumbing Supply ?