FDNY gets new Blaze Fighter Gloves

69,  Ya got that right!  I was broken in by guys who thought only pussys wore gloves,  your post is hysterical.

L-103(ret) said:
69,   Ya got that right!  I was broken in by guys who thought only pussys wore gloves,  your post is hysterical.

When I wore those gloves, I was burned on several occasions ... On my neck, ears, thighs, etc. but never on my hands ... LOL

"69" and "103", I agree with you. I appreciate that "KFD" has posted this about the new gloves. But over the years, I think there's just been some good sales talk to get cities to buy equipment. First, I agree about the older style gloves. As far as I know, there's never been a problem with them. I remember one time we were sold some new helmets that were the worst money could buy. We had them for about a year. Nothing but complaints about them. They would fall off your head, get caught on objects, and as an option, we could buy a "Plastic" holder for a personnel light to be attached. Those plastic holders broke off in no time. One guy sat on his and that was it. Certainly not something that really was fit for fire duty.
  It was so easy working with the boots and turnout coats. And I hated it when we got new Bunker Gear. Lost alot of freedom of movement with that. But I guess in that case, it was a good move. It has prevented a lot burns.
  I guess some changes are for the best. But a lot of times I think somebody is only concerned with putting Dollar$ in thier own pockets.

nfd2004 said:
"69" and "103", I agree with you. I appreciate that "KFD" has posted this about the new gloves. But over the years, I think there's just been some good sales talk to get cities to buy equipment. First, I agree about the older style gloves. As far as I know, there's never been a problem with them. I remember one time we were sold some new helmets that were the worst money could buy. We had them for about a year. Nothing but complaints about them. They would fall off your head, get caught on objects, and as an option, we could buy a "Plastic" holder for a personnel light to be attached. Those plastic holders broke off in no time. One guy sat on his and that was it. Certainly not something that really was fit for fire duty.
  It was so easy working with the boots and turnout coats. And I hated it when we got new Bunker Gear. Lost alot of freedom of movement with that. But I guess in that case, it was a good move. It has prevented a lot burns.
  I guess some changes are for the best. But a lot of times I think somebody is only concerned with putting Dollar$ in thier own pockets.

Initially when bunker gear was introduced into the F.D.N.Y., there was great concern that young, not so experienced firefighters would be getting themselves into serious trouble by going into situations that we probably would not enter while wearing 3/4 boots & a long coat. This proved to be true, I believe that the number of 'minor' burn injuries went down while the number of serious burn injuries went up. Experienced firefighters were familiar with signs of changing conditions, while 'new' guys who weren't aware were all 'turtled up' and wouldn't recognize the problem until they started to feel heat through the gear ... at that point it's already too late to take the necessary action. Another concern was the added heat stress caused by being 'encapsulated' in this bulky PPE.

very true 69 also we are all turtled up with alot less fire duty due to everyone has a cell phone but the fires today are hotter than 25 or 30 years ago

Very true 69. I rode with LA city a few back and the chief I was with were discussing this very thing. I compare my gear which was Globe Advance with condura and crosstech liner with their gear. Mine was the latest greatest in thermal protection and all the bells and whistles! Theirs was 100% Nomex! two issues, weight and the false sense of security. We have a tendency to get our butts in too deep! They opted for basic protection and lighter weight. The brush jackets are nothing.

Just for the record and info gathered from this thread, We ordered our department Blaze Fighter gloves! The members were sized and are very happy!

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Been using the Blaze for a little while now.. Starting to get used to them, I rarely put the blue ones on, only at the last moment did I use them at times.

I'm VERY HAPPY with my Blaze Fighter gloves the job has issued us all............Night and day difference compared to the blue oven mitts!

I am not a fan of the new gloves....you give up thermal protection for a bit more dexterity....and what happened to me on the 5th of January...no way in hell will I wear them or the fire commanders....but given a choice I would revert to the commanders.  I am sticking with Eska....my hands  would have been toast without them.

LosBomberos2811 said:
I am not a fan of the new gloves....you give up thermal protection for a bit more dexterity....and what happened to me on the 5th of January...no way in hell will I wear them or the fire commanders....but given a choice I would revert to the commanders.  I am sticking with Eska....my hands  would have been toast without them.

Just got a call from one of my guys..........They caught a 1st due third alarm two nights ago, he got burned on the tops of his hands with the new gloves.    I spoke to Billy Romaka this morning and asked if we should start using the blue oven mitts, he said........."I don't know"! ::)

BTW:  How's that skinny new Lt. in the truck making out? ;)

A member of 79 engine got burned on the hands on the concourse the other night, wearing the new gloves.  My blaze fighters have never been worn and never will. (just a heads up, make your own decision)

The firestore released a statement from The Glove Corp who manufactures thoses gloves. Any pair made between 12/09-12/10 are no longer NFPA compliant despite the tag inside the glove stating otherwise. The glove failed a rating test that has led to as mentioned in here burns to the back of the wearers hands. The Glove Corp according to the release has shut its doors and is not in operation. If I new who to post what i read on here believe me I would.

This is a copy of the press release that came out before TGC closed:

The Glove Corp has issued a Safety Notice regarding its "Blaze Fighter" firefighting glove.  The Blaze Fighter is currently certified to NFPA 1971-2007.  During recent testing, one style of gloves encountered issues with the performance of the conductive heat resistance test. The back of the hand area of the glove did not meet the prescribed performance threshold, as outlined in Section 7.7.5 of the NFPA 1971-2007 Standard. The Blaze Fighter style exhibited issues with test values that were below the minimum performance requirements.

The Blaze Fighter meets the Thermal Protection Performance (TPP) and flame resistance requirements and all other applicable performance requirements of the NFPA 1971-2007 Standard. These gloves were produced from December 2009 through December 2010. The label in the glove will indicate the manufacture date with lot numbers of 12109 through 12310.

While the majority of these gloves have performed satisfactorily in the field, The Glove Corporation has received reported cases of back of hand burns with a few pairs of this glove model. The Glove Corporation is recommending that you use the contact information below to discuss possible replacement of your model Blaze Fighter glove that was manufactured within the timeframe referenced above.

So the FDNY get's stiffed with shoddy equipment, and the company goes out of business....................Guess the old blue oven mitts are coming out of my locker and going back into service.