mack

Administrator

FDNY Line of Duty Death

November 16, 1959 - LODD
Fireman Edward J. Campbell, 38
Ladder 78
FDNY. Staten Island, New York

CAMPBELL.jpg

Fireman Campbell was killed when he and two other firemen were caught in a collapse during a five-alarm fire involving a taxpayer consisting of eight stores. Rescue 1 was special called, and two of the firemen were removed from the rubble alive. Fireman Campbell's body was found in the cellar of a shoe store. Fireman Campbell was a 6-year veteran of the department.

God Bless Those Who Serve and; Those Who Mourn.
Eternal Rest In Peace, Edward Campbell.

CONTINUED REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....Does anybody remember an old WNYF article on the "Campbell Hose Strap" ?...it went around your body & was attached to a Hoseline at your side just beyond the Nozzle.....it never took off but I think this was the same FF.

This may sound like a weird question, but where was R5? They we're a thing back then, did they just need R1 or was R5 working on a seperate box?

Rescue 5 was closed for many years and Rescue 2 from Brooklyn covered major fires and incidents in Staten Island, called the Borough of Richmond back then. Rescue 5 was reopened in I think the early 1980s. For the record Squad 1 from Brooklyn covered Staten Island, formerly called the Borough of Richmond until Squad 8 was opened just few years ago. Interestingly the old Borough Piliminary under the Bell Alarm system for Staten Island formerly the borough of Richmond, was 8-8. Hence that is how Squad 8 got it number. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

Rescue 5 was closed for many years and Rescue 2 from Brooklyn covered major fires and incidents in Staten Island, called the Borough of Richmond back then. Rescue 5 was reopened in I think the early 1980s. For the record Squad 1 from Brooklyn covered Staten Island, formerly called the Borough of Richmond until Squad 8 was opened just few years ago. Interestingly the old Borough Piliminary under the Bell Alarm system for Staten Island formerly the borough of Richmond, was 8-8. Hence that is how Squad 8 got it number. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired
Saw you on Getting Salty podcast- great job!

Nice job on Gettin Salty also Bob, you started off by mentioning Jack Fogoty. I first met him in 1968 when I started in E 5. He did 40 years on the job all in 3 truck. I saw him occasionally after he retired, and we lost him all too soon. He was a great guy and always had a smile on his face, and he still had a crew cut. Also the member at the top of the stairs at the 23 st. fire that yelled to get the guys out of the basement was Nick Cicero. He is also not with us. Rest In Peace to both of you guys.

^^^^^ Nick had Son's & at least one Son In Law OTJ......I worked with one Son ..Bob in R*2 after he came from ENG*28 / LAD*11.

Yes he did, and the other was Donald as I can remember. They took over Nick’s gas station on Staten Island. My son went there for oil changes.

I looked it up, if this LODD happended in '59. R5 was still active. It got disbanded in '62.

If I have it right, back then the on duty members of Ladder 78 staffed Rescue 5 as a separate unit, subject to special calls.
Since Ladder 78 was already assigned on this box (I'm guessing by the third alarm), there was no one to staff Rescue 5.

If I have it right, back then the on duty members of Ladder 78 staffed Rescue 5 as a separate unit, subject to special calls.
Since Ladder 78 was already assigned on this box (I'm guessing by the third alarm), there was no one to staff Rescue 5.
Oh. Yeah and it was cross staffed with E160 to, so if L78 and E106 worked this box. That means no one was actually allowed to hop on R5 who actually was allowed to. And R2 already was there...now I get it.

Thanks for all the kind words. I never knew the name of the firemen at the stairway that warned the bothers, was Nick Cicero Engine 5. Every time I talk about the 23 St. Collapse, it seems some new information comes out. My friend now retired Deputy Chief Jay Jonas Div. 7, did a great examination on the 23 Steet Collapse in his "Division 7 Healthy and Safety Newsletter." Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

I forgot to mention that I had the honor of being Acting Battalion Chief in Battalion 6 for a tour, during the year active on the job. The real honor was having Jack Fogerty L-3 drive me as Acting Batt. Chief. as the Batt. 6 Aide. I knew no matter what that the "aid" sitting next to me knew more than I did. Jack was a great man and a great fireman. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

Oh. Yeah and it was cross staffed with E160 to, so if L78 and E106 worked this box. That means no one was actually allowed to hop on R5 who actually was allowed to. And R2 already was there...now I get it.
???????????????

The operation of Rescue 5 when it was staffed by Ladder 78 is explained here: (scroll down the page)

Note that Ladder 78 was located with Engine 155, not Engine 160.

Last edited: