FDNY Logbooks

Over here in London, we still do a running log of events and occurences in a fire station, its completed by the 'duty man', detailed for that day
or night shift.

Does the FDNY still run a station log, and if so is it possible to see an old copy of a logbook or even get hold of one?

Many thanks

Jarrod

Yes they do, I believe the firefighter on housewatch is responsible for making the entries.

The journal at housewatch records daily events. Once the book is filled the company is supposed to keep it for 20yrs. After 9/11 I think there was a request from the department for all companies to forward all journals still stored quarters. I forget all the particulars, all I know is I have seen a room full of old company journals at the Division of Training rotting away. I believe there is a large quantity at Fort Toten in the same condition. What will become of them, who knows. Some of the old journals are very interesting to read. As far a getting one, I don't know.

The company journal reocrds simple events... phone calls, shift changes, inspections, messages, orders, visitors, etc... simple entries might look like this:

"08:51:  Firefighter Snuffy, 9x6 tour, reporting for duty"

"08:52: Phone call for Capt. X, from Battalion Chief Y, callback # (123) 456-7890"

"08:54: Shop mechanic enters quarters to deliver anti-freeze and oil for apparatus"

"08:57: Shop mechanic leaves quarters"

As you can see, it's mundane, but can be very important also. These books are considered legal documents and firefighters can be brought up on disciplinary charges for falsifying, desecrating or altering entries.

I have seen old (pre-1950's) FDNY log books that were sold on eBay although I haven't seen any recently.

Many thyanks guys, do runs get recorded, which company, and what the run is and time of return?

Thanks

Jarrod

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Runs are just basic in the book.

Something along the lines "RCA Box 9999 Engine XX Responds"
RCA = Received Computer Alarm

Then it would be Engine xx AQ from box 9999 FF Smith resumes H/W All Department PAQ in Good Order.

tbendick said:
Runs are just basic in the book.

Something along the lines "RCA Box 9999 Engine XX Responds"
RCA = Received Computer Alarm

Then it would be Engine xx AQ from box 9999 FF Smith resumes H/W All Department PAQ in Good Order.

Great insight, many thanks.

Not that different to ours, the basics of it are all the same.

jarrod

E

eddie412

guitarman314 said:
  I have seen old (pre-1950's) FDNY log books that were sold on eBay although I haven't seen any recently.

that must of been cool to read through that

i have read through some old chicago log books from busy companies back in the day (70's and 80's). chicago's log books are a little more descripitive:
ex. 10:00 co. to still alarm 1234 s. state st. fire in 2nd and 3rd floor. 150 ft of 1 3/4 in line(crosslay) to sector 1. 2 1/2 inch line to sector 3 and to the 3rd floor. washed down and released by batt. XX.
11:20 co. in quarters. 3 miles 1:25 min. 5 firefighters

they tell what was used an brief description of fire. alot of the old stuff is real interesting. it seems like fires were larger all the time back then lol

I have a friend who bought a logbook that was donated to a silent auction. It turned out to be from 1900-1901 and came from E131 (or E231 if you please). He paid in excess of $350 for it. It is in pristine condition and is a very interesting reading how the Firemen of the day operated. It has Horse numbers in it as well as bed key numbers. The penmanship of the fireman was outstanding as well. This logbook was from the Pitkin Ave firehouse and obviously prior to H & L 120.

When Engine 248 moved into a new firehouse in 1972 we found many old log books in the old house on Church Avenue.  They made for interesting reading, especially the length of some of the runs they went on.  This was pre-radio era, so once they were on a run, there was no communication with the CO.  They had some runs that are now third alarm and fourth alarm responses.