FDNY Mand Library

HCO

The George Mand Library, located in its own Building, #13, at the FDNY Fire Academy on Randall's Island, NY 10035, is now closed until further notice. The person in charge, Fire Marshal Daniel Maye, retired from the FDNY as of July 26, 2018. The doors are locked and requests by mail or telephone are not being accepted

Lets hope that the library doesn't wind up as it did in the late 70's when everything was locked up in the basement at Livingston Street and allowed to deteriorate.

I have been told that the Mand Library in order to keep accreditation "or something" has to been run by a Librarian with a certain Degree in the field which Retiring FM Dan Maye held....hopefully someone will be found with the same credentials to take the Helm & keep our FDNY History resource running.

Why can't the NYPL - with it's tremendous funding, grants and other allocations - be called upon to rescue this critical resource? 

In fact, where are the FDNY Foundation and other resources?  Where are the Bloomberg, DeBlasio and other political resources which should be coming to the rescue? 

mack

Administrator
Although the FDNY Library and the FDNY Museum are different, I think they both perform important common purposes - to maintain or support FDNY history, records, artifacts, pictures, research, morale and traditions. There is a lot of public awareness, good-will and support that could come from well-run programs, especially on-line access. They both probably should be well-supported. 

mack said:
Although the FDNY Library and the FDNY Museum are different, I think they both perform important common purposes - to maintain or support FDNY history, records, artifacts, pictures, research, morale and traditions. There is a lot of public awareness, good-will and support that could come from well-run programs, especially on-line access. They both probably should be well-supported.

Hear, Hear ! 

HCO

The George Mand Library at the FDNY Fire Academy on Randalls Island is still closed until further notice, due to the recent retirement of Fire Marshal Dan Maye, who was in charge of the Library since the official opening back on December 27, 1995. Hopefully, this valuable facility with its huge collection of educational and historical volumes, documents, films and photographs will re-open soon.

^^^ Yes the Mand Library is an important FDNY History resource ......hopefully someone can keep it up & running.

Once upon a time the Mand Library was located in Long Island City at "Red Square." It was the home of the "Fire College" as it was known then and of course the shops. Of course that was a long time ago.

This could be a great opportunity for some retired guys to give back or keep active by manning the library. With a little training and insight on how the library operated it could get reopened and staffed.

^^^^^^ I was told that the Library had to be run by someone with a certain type College Degree in the Library field in order for it to maintain it's accreditation. The Brother who just Retired held that Degree.  anybody else know if that is fact ?

memory master said:
Once upon a time the Mand Library was located in Long Island City at "Red Square." It was the home of the "Fire College" as it was known then and of course the shops. Of course that was a long time ago.
Back then the Shops was a very interesting place almost like a museum as the FDNY had so many different types of Rigs from different manufacturers ...i can't begin to count the different models & types  back then....today everything is basically similar.

HCO

The Mand Library is still closed and locked due to the retirement of FM Dan Maye. The Library may reopen in mid-October.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FDNY-George-F-Mand-Library/362474501833?hash=item546529f6c9:g:Xd0AAOSw1TFb2Q8V

Got word today that the Mand Library is currrently back up & running five days a week.

Brining back an old old old topic. Any where to get a patch fire the Library?

I'm sure there are members of this site that remember when the Mand Library was located within "Red Square" in Long Island City. Yes, that building that housed the "Fire College" aka the training school and still currently Fleet Services aka the Shops. Way, way back in time.

"I'm sure there are members of this site that remember when the Mand Library was located within "Red Square" in Long Island City. Yes, that building that housed the "Fire College" aka the training school and still currently Fleet Services aka the Shops. Way, way back in time."

With Clarence Meek and Paul Stolz as the librarians.

I forget what Manhattan company Paul was in prior to his going to the library. He lived near us and my dad knew him from the Manhattan days.