FDNY Marine Operations

Hey guys, the question I have is about the FDNY's Marine Operations. I know a few things about the program and the different boats and capabilities, but what seems to confuse me is the terminology used in whether it's called Marine Operations, Division, and Battalion. What are the differences? It seems like I see multiple apparatus with these different titles on them. I know how the divisions and battalions work on land, but how is it figured out on the water?

BCR

it was formally called the Marine Division, it evolved / was reorganized into Marine Operations along with the Marine Battalion that all now falls under the Special Operations Command. The Special Operations Command is considered a borough level command and has 3 subordinate commands, Hazmat Operations, Rescue Operations and Marine Operations each is commanded by a Battalion of Deputy Chief. So basicly the Marine Division technically does not exist anymore, there may be some vehicles out there that have not been re-lettered. Marine Operations includes the Marine Shops, the 3 main boats (Marine 1, 6, 9), the 3 summer boats, all the Alpha and Bravo Boats, Special Event Boats, reserve boats and spare boats, dive boat and the marine battalion chiefs boat, several vehicles and some big capacity pumps. The marine Battalion is the marine battalion cheif, similar to all the other SOC Chiefs that are on duty, Rescue Battalion & Hazmat Battalion. The Marine Battalion has there own boat a 33' Safe Boat that is identical to the Alpha Boats and Summer Boats. The Marine Battalion I believe responds when any of the marine company's respond and also to respond to anything along the water to coordinate with the incident command to provide water resources of needed

memory master said:
His dad was a FF on the boats and later on was an LCC at L130 in the 60's.
Son (CPT LOU) had been in my BN for awhile .....Great Guy & a FF first but very knowledgeable about the Boats ......also Respected by those on here who have had the oppurtunity to meet him.

And, most important, he graduated from the Maritime College at Fort Schuyler!  :)

C

capthale

Is there only 1 marine battalion chief or are there others that take different shifts?

capthale said:
Is there only 1 marine battalion chief or are there others that take different shifts?
Only one Unit but with different Chiefs working the chart around the clock.

C

capthale

68jk09 said:
capthale said:
Only one Unit but with different Chiefs working the chart around the clock.
.              Are the chiefs battalion commander chiefs with the silver oak leafs and then the shift chiefs would be gold oak leafs is that correct

C

capthale

I don?t know why they just go back to calling it marine ops division when the chief has n charge is basically a division chief

ATTEMPTED THEFT OF FDNY SMALL BOATS... Timekeeping Manual dated September 15, 2015, Chapter 4, Agency Data Codes is amended as follows:
Under Section 4.9 Add: Marine Security.................................2329

C

capthale

Question on rescue 3 I noticed reading the ops manual and they said rescue 3 does not have dive trained personnel. Is there a reason for this?

capthale said:
Question on rescue 3 I noticed reading the ops manual and they said rescue 3 does not have dive trained personnel. Is there a reason for this?
You?re reading an old version.  3 has been scuba trained/qualified for years

C

capthale

Well I?m reading the 2017 for ops manual that everyone suggested so I?m disappointed that I paid money for a book that?s obsolete.

C

capthale

The chief of marine ops 11c does he also have his own vessel or does he respond via suv.

BCR

The marine battalion has its own boat, Car 11 Charlie doesn?t have a designated boat, he has an assigned car like Chief of Rescue and chief of hazmat. I?m sure if he wanted / needed to he could take a spare or one of he special events boats out

capthale said:
Well I?m reading the 2017 for ops manual that everyone suggested so I?m disappointed that I paid money for a book that?s obsolete.

Show me a book which has no errors or an organization which has no changes in the course of a year and I'll show you a pretty small organization or a pretty small book.