FDNY Operations Manuals

Is there somewhere (other than http://www.sageauthoring.com/fdny/fdny1.htm, these are dated back in 1997, and I am sure there are more recent editions available) to obtain FDNY Operations Manuals for Engine Company Operations, Forcible Entry, Truck Company Operations, etc? I'm interested in these as well as FDNY SOP's/SOG's. My department is revamping ours and I'd like to get some insight and ideas from the brutha's in NYC.

Thanks!

Josh
Va Beach, VA

HCO

Contact the Document Control Unit at 718-999-0366.  Ask about the document CD and/or printed manuals, both of which are sold through the FDNY Foundation.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I am sorry to say that Morris - 'The Fire Buff' - has been out of business for a good number of years.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Morris was a gentleman who worked as a dispatcher in Brooklyn back in the 60's & as a supervisor in Staten Island in the 70's. He owned a printing business in Brooklyn & would print all the training info & manuals. As the printing business changed, copies machines improved, Morris closed his business which was known as "The Fire Buff". He also printed the fire box location book.

Atlas said:
Morris was a gentleman who worked as a dispatcher in Brooklyn back in the 60's & as a supervisor in Staten Island in the 70's. He owned a printing business in Brooklyn & would print all the training info & manuals. As the printing business changed, copies machines improved, Morris closed his business which was known as "The Fire Buff". He also printed the fire box location book.

Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification. I guess I will call the number in the previous post and see what happens, unless someone knows another idea or method.

Atlas said:

Atlas, the masses might have known him as the name on his productions "Heitowits
Manuals"  also had copies of the "OLD" Book of Regulations and it was a subscription service so as the Fireman could update their B of R.  Good guy and I have his original Fire Buff manual that has only Manhattan and Brooklyn boxes in it. I got it from Disp  "14 and out" who hung out in E 219 as hot off the press and didn't contain the full manual.

They were there when I first posted, dont know why they vanished - will try again

They were originally uploaded to photobucket image sharing website, but now I cant seem to log into photobucket so maybe their site went down and took the images with it.

I had earlier posted some photobucket images of Smokey Stover's Car 6 7/8 in the "Open Cabs" thread, but they are gone now also.

Maybe ADMIN can give a clue.

HCO said:
Contact the Document Control Unit at 718-999-0366.  Ask about the document CD and/or printed manuals, both of which are sold through the FDNY Foundation.

I know before 9/11 I used to go out to the Rock and I was able to purchase all the FDNY Manuels and I would get their Updates every three months. These manuels were a Huge Asset for me when I was on the job in Small City, Ct U.S.A.  In my opinion, they were the Best Manuels ever produced on Fire Tactics. I was able to get so many good ideas on subjects that weren't covered at all in most books. There was even a book on First Line Supervisor.
  For anybody in the Fire Service, if you are looking for manuels on the job. These really helped me. If they are on Disk now, all the better. They are worth checking out.

nfd2004 said:
HCO said:

I know before 9/11 I used to go out to the Rock and I was able to purchase all the FDNY Manuels and I would get their Updates every three months. These manuels were a Huge Asset for me when I was on the job in Small City, Ct U.S.A.  In my opinion, they were the Best Manuels ever produced on Fire Tactics. I was able to get so many good ideas on subjects that weren't covered at all in most books. There was even a book on First Line Supervisor.
  For anybody in the Fire Service, if you are looking for manuels on the job. These really helped me. If they are on Disk now, all the better. They are worth checking out.

Hence the reason why I am trying to obtain them. I am a paid guy in a DOD fire department and I also volunteer in another department. I think they'd be a great training resource.

Unit Locations c1946.  Strikeout entries were made by owner(s) of the book in subsequent years, for instance Engine Cos. 4-19-20-25-29 were disbanded in 1947

1940sHeitowitUnitLocationspage1of5.png
1940sHeitowitUnitLocationspage2of5.png
1940sHeitowitUnitLocationspage3of5.png
1940sHeitowitUnitLocationspage4of5.png
1940sHeitowitUnitLocationspage5of5.png

If you ever needed to operate an ALF wooden aerial, here's how.  Images seem to be posting again, seems photobucket went down between my original postings and now.

1940sHeitowitEvolution22ALFladder.png

Atlas said:
Morris was a gentleman who worked as a dispatcher in Brooklyn back in the 60's & as a supervisor in Staten Island in the 70's...

I had the pleasure of working with Morris back in the 70's.  What a nice man!  He moved to Arizona after retirement and has since passed away.

Question: How long does it normally take to receive an order for FDNY books purchased from Document Control?

A CD loaded with all current FDNY books costs $50 (postage included); the same books in hardcopy format cost $225.
I just bought the CD; it is an excellent resource for anyone interested in FDNY operations.
All info is presented in PDF format and you can print the items you want.
Here's the address:
FDNY
Document Control Unit
9 Metrotech Center (Room 7N-42K)
Brooklyn NY 11201-3857
(718) 999-5160