FDNY SQUAD RESPONSE

I know this has been mentioned before , but it is time to rethink how squads are used as an engine in their own response area . Would it make more sense to Add an Engine to the Box initially and if it is a worker then the Squad is the Squad..  BOX (515 ) ON 12/14/16 Looking at this rundown Sq 1 in From Brooklyn , SQ 41 Da Bronx relocates to R-1. Two boroughs down 1 Squad each. 

"more lives are saved by properly positioned and operated hoselines. (engine ops)"

squad companies are 5 man engine cos they are self sufficient in getting the first line on the fire.
engine companies are 4 man engine cos which means that 2 engine cos are needed to get the first line on the fire.
which basically means that the first line on the fire will be delayed until the arrival of the 2nd and 3rd engines cos.
and having the 1st due squad co in the block will now add confusion to the 1st and 2nd due ladder cos assigned.
bottom line....if a squad co is first due take a hydrant and get water on the fire.

I agree get a line in , but on the 10-75 they will get the Rescue and an additional Squad. Stretch a line get the initial attack going ( I agree ) then when the 2 , 3rd , and 4th engine companies arrive , your now the assigned Squad.     

no absolutely not.
if every company does their assigned job...and only their assigned job...then everything gets done!
remove the confusion equation
those assigned to engine and ladder cos will agree with this
those from soc might not

OK so from a resource point of view this City has I believe 7 squads. Do you tie up three of them for one incident? 1 assigned , 2nd assigned on the 10-75 and a third relocated ? I just think this needs a further review is all. They mention a Squad to be assigned to SI. The nearest one is SQ1 from Brooklyn. Its just a resource thing it bothers me. 

Squads serve a more useful purpose when they are assigned as an Engine in close proximity to quarters.
It usually creates problems when they arrive around the same time as the 1st and 2nd due trucks and don't operate as an Engine.

The other  problem comes when they decide to split the company and do both Engine and Truck work.

tperez102 said:
OK so from a resource point of view this City has I believe 7 squads. Do you tie up three of them for one incident? 1 assigned , 2nd assigned on the 10-75 and a third relocated ? I just think this needs a further review is all. They mention a Squad to be assigned to SI. The nearest one is SQ1 from Brooklyn. Its just a resource thing it bothers me.

Believe it or not the fires will go out without a Squad or Rescue 10-84.

Does FDNY have a workforce utilization review function (or operations research in MIL-speak) somewhere in its organization?  It seems to me that that would be needed when your balancing manpower, equipment, and demands for service on a stagnant budget.

scamall dubh said:
Squads serve a more useful purpose when they are assigned as an Engine in close proximity to quarters.
It usually creates problems when they arrive around the same time as the 1st and 2nd due trucks and don't operate as an Engine.

The other  problem comes when they decide to split the company and do both Engine and Truck work.

I can assure you there were squad guys with tools in their hand when they should have been an engine at this job.