FDNY Strategic Plan 2015-2017

The Plan is here:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/pdf/ofc/FDNY_strategic_plan_2015_2017.pdf

Some interesting things:

Objective 1.4:
To keep pace with the architectural trends of ?mega? high-rise residential buildings throughout New York City, the FDNY will enhance its capabilities to perform structural firefighting and rescue operations at buildings of structural heights that currently are inaccessible. The FDNY will explore new tools and technology, additional training, deployment models, revisions of strategy and tactics and be prepared for the changing landscape of the City.

All that monstrosities along the 57th street (One57, Park Ave 432, Nordstrom, etc.) have to be protected... somehow. That truly is a challenge.

Objective 2.3:
The Department will review the number of 9-1-1 call types that ?certified first responder? (CFR) engine companies are assigned to respond. The Department also will study the expansion of the successful CFR program to the Department?s 143 truck companies, which could add more responses by fire companies to potentially life-threatening medical emergencies. The Department also will begin a longer-term effort to assess whether to upgrade its ?first responder? engines to the Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) level, so they can provide additional care for patients with potentially life-threatening medical emergencies.

CFR Ladders and EMT Engines might become a reality.

Lucas said:
The Plan is here:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/pdf/ofc/FDNY_strategic_plan_2015_2017.pdf

Some interesting things:

Objective 1.4:
To keep pace with the architectural trends of ?mega? high-rise residential buildings throughout New York City, the FDNY will enhance its capabilities to perform structural firefighting and rescue operations at buildings of structural heights that currently are inaccessible. The FDNY will explore new tools and technology, additional training, deployment models, revisions of strategy and tactics and be prepared for the changing landscape of the City.

All that monstrosities along the 57th street (One57, Park Ave 432, Nordstrom, etc.) have to be protected... somehow. That truly is a challenge.

Objective 2.3:
The Department will review the number of 9-1-1 call types that ?certified first responder? (CFR) engine companies are assigned to respond. The Department also will study the expansion of the successful CFR program to the Department?s 143 truck companies, which could add more responses by fire companies to potentially life-threatening medical emergencies. The Department also will begin a longer-term effort to assess whether to upgrade its ?first responder? engines to the Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) level, so they can provide additional care for patients with potentially life-threatening medical emergencies.

CFR Ladders and EMT Engines might become a reality.
Very interesting thanks for posting. I have actually wondered how the FDNY is going to go about dealing with these incredibly high - hi rises. Both 157 W57 and 432 Park Ave have 90+ floors of apartment space available for rent/buy. As New Yorkers, we are no stranger to a building over 90 floors. Fires happen in buildings with over 90 floors, it's called a 10-76. Never before have we had to incorporate fire fighting strategies in residental buildings over 90 floors. Granted it might not be much different from fighting a fire in a hi-rise commerical but still. Now the chance of seeing a 10-77 being transmitted for fire on the 80,90th floor can be possible. Makes you think. Ironically enough both these highly expensive hi-rises are in midtown, we know these Battlaions are no stranger to 10-76 & 10-77's. Should be interesting.

The truck companies possibly going on EMS runs is also interesting, something that was only exclusive to other cities such as Chicago, I think, would now be implemented here. Should also be interesting to see how it works. Truck companies would no longer be able to be spared from being woken up at 4am for an EMS run just to be cancelled because EMS beat them out or the run was downgraded.

Sending Truck Co's on EMS runs has been around for a long time.

Boston would send a Ladder Co to a diff breather back in the early 80s. When an Engine Co was out on a run and a Truck Co was closer, a place like Providence, RI would send the Ladder Co rather than take an Engine Co from another response area, going back to the days that I started buffing them around 1975. Both places were also seeing a high amount of fire activity at the time.

One of Connecticut's larger cities rotates it's Engine Co and Truck Co every other month responding to EMS runs.

In Fort Myers, Fla a retired firefighter and good friend of mine went into cardiac arrest. It was the guys on the Truck Co that showed up just before the FD Medics arrived that saved his life. He found that out when he went to that firehouse a few months later to personally "thank those firefighters for saving his life". Because of them, he is alive and well today.

I once read an article written by a chief from a busy county fire department. He told in that article that when people need help, "they don't care what kind of truck shows up". "They only want somebody to act and try to save their loved one's".

I am just an outsider looking in when it comes to the daily operations of the FDNY. I know that the FDNY has been the leaders to many departments because of their wealth of knowledge and experience. No other department comes close. I think through fair negotiating by all, if the FDNY were to send a Ladder Company on an EMS run, it would be the right thing to do. 

The only language the "bean counters" understand is numbers.  More runs/workers, more numbers.  Less runs/workers, less need (in the bean counter's mind) for fire companies.  Sad, but true!

Even in the 70's Boston would dispatch a ladder company for a breathing situation or an "inhalator" call. Ladder 14 responded to my father in 1972.

In late '60s early '70s in the FDNY only the Rescue's & the BN's had originally an Inhalator then later a Resuscitator ...they would send the Chief only but most Chiefs would grab a FF from the Truck to go on the run w/the BN.....also sometime NYPD ESU would show up in a Ford Station Wagon w/02......also back then Pull Boxes were used for the majority of the Alarms so you could end up w/several Units for a Medical Emerg.

Boston rotates between Engine, Ladder and Rescue every month for EMS runs. If the closest unit for the month is on another run, I think it falls back on the Eng.

As fire depts across the country are seeing less fire activity and increased demand for EMS services by an ballooning aging population, most are re-aligning the operations to best meet the current needs of residents.  Many departments now train recruits as EMTs.  Some are operating Paramedic Engine Companies or ALS Truck Companies.  I think this trend will accelerate. 
I'd like to see all FDNY Firefighters and Officers upto and including BCs be trained as EMT.  Then offer a pay incentive for firefighters and company officers who elect to become Paramedics ans serve on Paramedic Engines.  All other engines & ladders would be staffed with cross-trained FF/EMTs.  With the huge risk of terror attacks, having cross-trained members would be very benficial.

We've been operating Paramedic Engines, Ladders & Rescues for about 15 or so years now, so far so good. Our minimum for training is EMT-Advanced. It's safe to say, if another Fire Dept is doing something that you're not, you'll probably be doing it in the future. All of our neighboring Fire Depts except one, are fully integrated with cross trained/dual role personnel, including ambulance transport. My Dept is the only one in the region that's still trying to hold on to separate Fire & EMS Depts.

Just like Deano said, our department (a neighbor to Va Beach) decided to require EMT-Advanced about 15 years ago.  There was a grace period for existing FFs at the time to get qualified, and now it's mandatory for everyone.  When a FF assigned to an engine or ladder company comes to work at his house, he may find himself detailed to a medic unit for his shift.  All of our ambulances are co-located with supression units.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Like the previous 2 posters noted this is something that's happening across the country.  I'm not sure if fire departments are doing it because of the need as much as they are doing it to protect jobs in their departments.  Obviously the taxpayers and other government officials are going to start looking at 4 departments as a way to cut expenses if they see there aren't as busy as they used to be.  By picking up medical calls they are keeping their call numbers are up!  The problem is that during a major event you need resources on both sides which you aren't going to have in this kind of organization.  Take 9/11 for example.

BCR

In my opinion,FDNY will never run medic engines, just won't happen. Maybe some time down the road they will require new recruits to train to the EMT level with a goal of having EMT engines. However when considering the cost and the difference in care between CFR-D and EMT-B. I don't think the cost to train to the EMT level to provide not much more than what they can now will be worth it in the bean counters eyes. In the foreseeable future I cannot see FDNY trucks running medicals.

"Never" is a long time and ALL of the "nevers" we've had in our Dept. have come to fruition, some took longer than others. Not saying the FDNY will do it for sure but, the next big Dept (Chicago) is doing it with plans to expand the Paramedic Engines.  There's definitely some truth to what Bulldog said in regards to job protection. We have not seen a decrease in fire runs yet as we are still a growing City with lots of space. Additionally many Dept's have fully merged to save dollars. When you don't need two separate chains of command that transfers into quite a bit of monetary savings. Of course the savings are not transferred to the taxpayer, the money is usually spent on something else