Field Comm Satelitte

An engine company is designated the FieldCom Satellite on boxes of All-Hands or greater that are below grade level.  They assist the FieldCom with communications below grade where sound radio transmissions may be interfered with.

Just a personal note, I'm of the opinion they should be renamed Field Comm Support Unit. Easily confused with Satellite. They carry sound powered phones which use magnets to amplify sound and carry it along wires underground.

Dont  they already have a ford f-350 that is called the field comm support unit? i generally hear it assigned to grand central boxes

HCO

The Field Comm Support Unit is an administrative vehicle used by a Field Comm dispatcher/supervisor.  It was used in field technical tests in Manhattan for a short time last year, but is not normally an emergency response vehicle.

The Field Comm Satellite engines each carry two sound-powered phones and two 500-foot cable reels.  Magnets are not involved (could you be thinking of the earlier Figaro HF radio systems which the sound- powered phones replaced?).  Additional sound-powered phones and reels are carried by the high-rise units, rescue companies, and some battalions.

I'm just going by the old ones I used in the military. Thought they were of the same make/model. Just an FYI, there are no supervising dispatchers assigned to Field Comm.