Fire Boat Update on 343

Bulldog

Bulldog
hawaiifiveo said:
great pics, and she is very beautiful, i see they went with four shafts on the variable pitched props,  this type has good speed, great power, good stopping distance but my experience as a boat captain is the four shafts are sometimes hard to control especially when trying to pivot or walk a boat in, but all boats are different and none the same. but she looks very capable of handling herself. nice and wide, shouldn't role too much.  In Honolulu our fire boat is based on a cutter style design very narrow since our waters are very rough and good size swells, she needs to cut through the water. most of her duties are offshore rescues and not to much harbor incidents. mahalo
She also has bow thrusters to help maneuverability.

It was nice to see 343 out in the waters today while enjoying the fleet week festivities in SI. It really looks amazing from far. I can't wait to see Firefighter II next year.

What Marine unit will be pulled from Active Service? Will be a shame to see the old Marine Units go out of service, they are like the last Operating Older Fire Dept Units in Most major cities and are slowly being relaced. Goes with the times,I guess.

rdm258 said:
What Marine unit will be pulled from Active Service? Will be a shame to see the old Marine Units go out of service, they are like the last Operating Older Fire Dept Units in Most major cities and are slowly being relaced. Goes with the times,I guess.

It's replacing the McKean. The Governor Smith is still around, it's the 'Spare' boat.

FDNY150 said:
rdm258 said:

It's replacing the McKean. The Governor Smith is still around, it's the 'Spare' boat.
What will all the old boats become?

My thinking was both McKean and Firefighter are going on to other lives and Smith remains the spare being the youngest?? I've heard the Mckean will be a tugboat, but what will the Firefighter be?

The Firefighter is a floating landmark. I would think that it will be taken somewhere and restored.

mack

Administrator
I noticed that the 343 has "Marine Division" lettering painted on her.  What current structure do the marine units fall under?  I thought they were under Special Operations Command.  Does the Marine Division fall under Special Operations Command?  Is there also a Marine Division Command which falls under Special Operations Command?  Is the Special Operations Command arrangement for tactical operations only?

Very roughly speaking it's something like this:

SOC (Car 11)

Marine Ops (11C) - Rescue Ops (11A) - HazMat Ops (11B) - Division level

Marine Battalion - Rescue Battalion - HazMat Battalion - Battalion level

From Marine 1's website:

"September 12, 2010  

Fireboat 343 in service

Fireboat 343 went in service at 0900 on September 11th 2010. The boat left its berth at pier 40 at 0830 and responded to the WTC site and the crew stood on the bow for a moment of silence."