Fire Patrol

I know that the last of the fire patrol units has been disbanded.  What is going to happen to the buildings that they occupied?  I believe the patrol was funded by insurance companies, but who owns the buildings?  NYC?

The Fire Patrol was funded by the Insurance companies. I believe at the time of their closing, they were running three units. Basically they responded to "Commerical Buildings," not just buildings owned by the City of New York, that had sustained water damage from maybe a fire or an activated sprinkler pipe. The employees of the Fire Patrol were Not employees of the FDNY, but a group of Insurance Companies. They would throw Salvage Covers, and help prevent any water damage to any business.
  After the Fire Patrol, was disbanded, there were approximately 20 - 30 Ladder Trucks that became what was called a "Salvage Truck". These Ladder Companies carried extra Salvage equipment and would respond wherever special called solely for Salvage operations. Very similar to what a S.O.C. Ladder Co does today. After doing this for two or three years, eventually, ALL FDNY Ladder Cos were given Salvage equipment and training. Today all FDNY Ladder companies do Salvage work, not just a limited few.
  I really don"t know whatever happened to the trucks they used.
  Along that line, during some of those years, the City funded what was called "The Model City"s Program". The city operated a separate type of Salvage company which handled water problems in "Residential Buildings". They were simply called "Salvage Cos". I believe there were three or four of these mostly used in the hardest hit neighborhoods from fire. I believe the crew consisted of a FDNY Officer (Lt or Capt), and four or five civilians. It was also hoped that these civilians would be introduced into the fire service and make a career with the FDNY. I have no idea if this theory ever worked out. The Fire Salvage companies were started sometime around the ending of the War Years (1975 ?) and were eventually disbanded maybe sometime in the early 80s. Not exactly sure on the dates though.

Mike Martinelli's site shows all 3.  Here's a link to the FP1 page:

http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html/specialunits/fp1.htm

Perhaps this will look familiar to some people?
http://www.fentonfire.com/rescue_trucks_for_sale/listing.php?lid=1617

nfd2004 said:
The Fire Patrol was funded by the Insurance companies. I believe at the time of their closing, they were running three units. Basically they responded to "Commerical Buildings," not just buildings owned by the City of New York, that had sustained water damage from maybe a fire or an activated sprinkler pipe. The employees of the Fire Patrol were Not employees of the FDNY, but a group of Insurance Companies. They would throw Salvage Covers, and help prevent any water damage to any business.
   After the Fire Patrol, was disbanded, there were approximately 20 - 30 Ladder Trucks that became what was called a "Salvage Truck". These Ladder Companies carried extra Salvage equipment and would respond wherever special called solely for Salvage operations. Very similar to what a S.O.C. Ladder Co does today. After doing this for two or three years, eventually, ALL FDNY Ladder Cos were given Salvage equipment and training. Today all FDNY Ladder companies do Salvage work, not just a limited few.
   Along that line, during some of those years, the City funded what was called "The Model City"s Program". The city operated a separate type of Salvage company which handled water problems in "Residential Buildings". They were simply called "Salvage Cos". I believe there were three or four of these mostly used in the hardest hit neighborhoods from fire. I believe the crew consisted of a FDNY Officer (Lt or Capt), and four or five civilians. It was also hoped that these civilians would be introduced into the fire service and make a career with the FDNY. I have no idea if this theory ever worked out. The Fire Salvage companies were started sometime around the ending of the War Years (1975 ?) and were eventually disbanded maybe sometime in the early 80s. Not exactly sure on the dates though.

Salvage Trucks did not replace Fire Patrol.

SOC Trucks have nothing to do ith salvage.

chiefblackcloud said:
nfd2004 said:

Salvage Trucks did not replace Fire Patrol.

SOC Trucks have nothing to do ith salvage.

ChiefBlackCloud, Without looking it up, I believe several years ago there were some specific Ladder companies from the FDNY that received training in Salvage as one of their extra duties. This was according to the Fire Bell Club newsletter that specified which Ladder companies they were. It may have not been in direct response to the disbanding of the Fire Patrol or The Fire salvage companies, but as I remember this occurred shortly after their disbanding. If you would need the approximate date and Ladder companies involved, I will try to look it up for you. But I guess you are correct. "Salvage Ladder Trucks did NOT replace the Fire Patrol". Yes, there was a time frame difference between the disbanding of the Fire Patrol, and the new duties of a Ladder Co assigned as a Salvage Ladder Co. I hope I didn"t give the impression that the FDNY wanted to get rid of the Fire Patrol. Certainly the FDNY did "NOT" negotiate to disband the Fire Patrol. I believe the Fire Patrol had a very good working relationship with the FDNY. I had a personnel friend I grew up with who worked Patrol 1.
  And Yes, mentioning SOC Trucks was just a comparison of how the "Salvage Trucks" operated. They had special/additional training in salvage, same as todays SOC Trucks in confined space, high angle rescue, and haz-mat.

kfd274 said:
Good information coming thru............Who owns the buildings and what's happening to them?

kfd274, There were no "Special Buildings" that the Fire Patrol took care of regarding Salvage work. It is just your everyday commerical building (Store, Office, etc). If you or I owned a commerical building in NYC at that time, and there was the possibility of water damage from a fire or broken sprinkler, we could get a response from the Fire Patrol along with the FDNY. Hope that explains it to you.

kfd274 said:
Good information coming thru............Who owns the buildings and what's happening to them?

You can find the owner of any building in NYC if you know the address or the block & lot numbers:  http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/jump/acris.shtml     If that fils you can go to the Dep't of Finance section at www.nyc.gov and look up the tax records.

I just checked 12 Dean Street (Patrol 3) and found it is owned by the NYBFU and is tax exempt because it houses  a "salvage & patrol" operation.  

Wonder if they will lose their tax exempt status because they killed the patrol?!?   Also wonder if they would like a band of dedicated buff types to run a vollie fire patrol so that they can keep the tax exemption (heh heh) !

bklyndisp54 said:
kfd274 said:

You can find the owner of any building in NYC if you know the address or the block & lot numbers:  http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/jump/acris.shtml     If that fils you can go to the Dep't of Finance section at www.nyc.gov and look up the tax records.

I just checked 12 Dean Street (Patrol 3) and found it is owned by the NYBFU and is tax exempt because it houses  a "salvage & patrol" operation.  

Thank you. This is a partial answer to my question since you say that the building for Patrol 3 is owned by the Bureau of Fire Underwriters.  They probably own 1 and 2 also.
Wonder if they will lose their tax exempt status because they killed the patrol?!?   Also wonder if they would like a band of dedicated buff types to run a vollie fire patrol so that they can keep the tax exemption (heh heh) !

"KFD274", I"m sorry I misunderstood your question, but its been answered by "bklyndisp54" anyway. so you"re all set.

nfd2004 said:
"KFD274", I"m sorry I misunderstood your question, but its been answered by "bklyndisp54" anyway. so you"re all set.

Nfd - don't worry about it.I appreciate that you tried to answer my question.

Thanks

Hi folks

With regards to Fire Patrol 1.  I was at the Fire house in November 2008 and the truck was still sitting in the bay.  Whe ni chapped on the door it was a security guy that was looking after the place.  Further to that the Fire Patrol place in the Village.  I think the locals were trying to buy the building last year to preserve in for the area.

Stevie

Stevie said:
Hi folks

With regards to Fire Patrol 1.  I was at the Fire house in November 2008 and the truck was still sitting in the bay.  Whe ni chapped on the door it was a security guy that was looking after the place.  Further to that the Fire Patrol place in the Village.  I think the locals were trying to buy the building last year to preserve in for the area.

Stevie

Good info Stevie