Fleet Friday FDNY SPECIAL UNIT COMPARTMENTS

Interesting video, those trucks are pretty well stocked for just about everything. 2 questions though-

1. Would a Divison Chief truck be similarly equipped or have a whole different setup other than the usual items?

2. Anybody know what the actual name for that rear raisable lightbar is? My grandfather used to call them "overhills" since they made a stopped car visible behind a hilltop on the road but there's gotta be a real name for them.

so would it be a prefered job or not as here our chiefs run without aides on the Chiefcar
There are many reasons to transfer to the Battalion. Friends with the Chief, age, location, studying, etc just like transferring to a different company. All Battalion Chiefs rely on their Aide for multiple of reasons from daily paperwork to communication at fires/emergencies. Usually a senior or experienced Firefighter is wanted/needed for the position. Not a glamour position but needed many times over. Remember the FDNY doesn’t hire civilians to work in the Firehouse, except Divisions and up.

Interesting video, those trucks are pretty well stocked for just about everything. 2 questions though-

1. Would a Divison Chief truck be similarly equipped or have a whole different setup other than the usual items?

2. Anybody know what the actual name for that rear raisable lightbar is? My grandfather used to call them "overhills" since they made a stopped car visible behind a hilltop on the road but there's gotta be a real name for them.
Division has the command board, and more administration equipment but you will have to wait for the video. High Risers they are called

so in the video i saw a R1 helmet are they staffed by Firefighters from rescue or squad units or by staff from Roosenvelt island?

so in the video i saw a R1 helmet are they staffed by Firefighters from rescue or squad units or by staff from Roosenvelt island?
TAC firefighters are usually senior firefighters from a Rescue or Squad. Almost everyone there is from a Rescue or Squad. TAC is working with Squad & Rescue everyday wouldn’t make sense to put someone else there….
Rescue guys go to Rescue Ops (Tac, RB, Logistics, Dewatering, Compressor, Rebreather)
Marine guys go to Marine Ops (Marine Tac, MB, Mechanic)
Hazmat guys go to Hazmat Ops (Logistics, HB, Decon Support)

There are many reasons to transfer to the Battalion. Friends with the Chief, age, location, studying, etc just like transferring to a different company. All Battalion Chiefs rely on their Aide for multiple of reasons from daily paperwork to communication at fires/emergencies. Usually a senior or experienced Firefighter is wanted/needed for the position. Not a glamour position but needed many times over. Remember the FDNY doesn’t hire civilians to work in the Firehouse, except Divisions and up.
First thing Stapleton did when he got the Commissioner's job was to put the District Chief's aides back in service. He said they were an extra set of eyes on the fireground with their years of experience.

Division has the command board, and more administration equipment but you will have to wait for the video. High Risers they are called
Hi-Risers also called McDermott Lights because they were (are?) made by McDermott Light & Signal Co in Queens.

I find this to be a very interesting and informative post. I never knew that TSU 1 was driven by an experienced Haz-Mat FF.

I find this to be a very interesting and informative post. I never knew that TSU 1 was driven by an experienced Haz-Mat FF.
HM Tech II firefighters are the Rescue Battalion Aides, Safety Battalion Aides, Marine Battalion Aides also… when your on a Rescue or Squad you have to know hazmat lol