Governors Island

Several years ago the FDNY took over fire protection on Governors Island. Does anyone know what apparatus is out there? I have never heard them on the radio, also how come they are not assigned a number?

HCO

FDNY assumed responsibility for fire protection on September 30, 2003.  An officer and two firefighters are on each tour, which start at the quarters of Engine 4/Ladder 15.  Transportation to and from the island is by ferry or marine company. 

FDNY apparatus in the fire station includes one brush fire unit, an ALF pumper, and two ex-Coast Guard pumpers.  Two FDNY reserve engines and two reserve ladders are in are nearby building. 

If you hear anything from GI, it will either be GIPU, or Governors Island Protection Unit to Manhattan.

The NY Daily News reports that as part of the budget cuts, "(t)he FDNY also plans to completely shutter its station on Governors Island, staffing it only during events. "

bklyndisp54 said:
The NY Daily News reports that as part of the budget cuts, "(t)he FDNY also plans to completely shutter its station on Governors Island, staffing it only during events. "

Yes, I heard that too.  They will only staff it during events.

GIPU are they busy and if FDNY just gave up completely covering the island, who would provide fire protection? Is there an established police force on the island? Is the USCG still there? Thnak you

The Coast Guard left in the mid 90's. GIPU does maybe one run every few weeks to month. I'm not sure about Police presence. When I was stationed there it was CG personnel and rent a cops.
If there is a fire, it would probably be handled with the same protocols that were in place before. Ferry the rigs across, etc..
There isn't really much on the island that I remember, so I don't see how any special events would be planned, aside from maybe the occasional fireworks display.

Is the GI  station manned by FDNY personnel? Does it have a FDNY station number and is it dispatched by Manhattan  or Brooklyn? Thanks.

HCO

Governor?s Island was transferred from the Federal government to the state and city in January, 2003.    FDNY assumed responsibility for fire protection on September 30, 2003. The Governor's Island Fire Protection Unit (there is no FDNY station number), comprised of an officer and two firefighters per tour, is scheduled to be deactivated on January 17, 2009, because of budget shortfall.     

Dispatch operations are handled by the Manhattan central office.