Growing Up In NYC Memories

The one I?m thinking of had the beige over green paint where this one is light green over darker green. Also, the passenger seat windows opened vertically, not horizontally. The mirror outside the front passenger door is new and the rear door folded open, same as the front door. I think the rear door pictured here was one of the early passenger-controlled types. If memory serves, the bus shown here was not Fifth Avenue Coach, but ran on First, Second, Third and Lexington Avenues in Manhattan, and if you held a gun to my head I couldn?t remember right now the name of that bus company. This color scheme also ran on Fifth Avenue after all the lines were consolidated under NYCTA(?) following one of the transit strikes. And, now that I think of it, the buses on Broadway, at least above 72nd Street, were painted beige over red and the rear doors were controlled by passengers putting weight onto the second step which would then open the door.

I think, but again not sure, that transfers were not accepted between companies. If a passenger transferred from Fifth Avenue Coach to another carrier or vice versa, a new fare had to be paid. I believe that all changed after the 1966(?) transit strike, the one that still calls to mind Mike Quill denouncing ?Mayor Linsley? as Quill went off to the Civil Jail. I think that was also the strike that led to the Taylor Law.

For the past five or six years I?ve tried to get to 42nd Street before the Christmas Holidays to ride the ?Vintage Buses? that Transit runs on that line for a few days each year, but I?ve never been able to catch one of them.

And g?man, not only did the drivers have to hand out transfers and make change from those neat little silver mechanisms that held denominations from pennies to quarters, but some would also let little kids flick the handle on the fare box that dropped the coins into the collection box and even turn the handle on the destination signs on the front and right side of the bus when it got to the turn-around point. I remember hearing that the drivers would catch grief if the fares emptied from the box were not evenly divisible by $.15 or whatever the fare happened to be; this, of course, before discounted fares for Senior Citizen and the handicapped.

Incidentally,talking about traffic-related issues, how about the old Sanitation water trucks that would wash down the streets during the spring and summer and in later years were used to supply summer-time sprinklers for kids to play in. The theory was that by supplying these trucks fewer hydrants would be opened illegally and water pressure would be maintained at necessary levels. One of the problems with that theory was that you couldn?t hold an ash can (remember them?) over an open hydrant and suddenly lift it to soak an unsuspecting driver and passengers when they drove down the street. Especially good when the car in question was painted green and black with white lettering on the hood and doors. Not that I ever knew anyone who would do such a thing, but rumor always had it?

68jk09, there were two kinds of straw seats. The yellow ones always reminded me of creamed corn (I think they were on the IND lines) and in the ?60?s the 7 Train had yellow with blue stripes. Regardless of the color, when they got worn there?d always be a bunch of slivers sticking out that would catch you on the back of the thighs or knees, or someplace more tender if you were having a really bad day.

johnd248, yes, I remember Schrafft?s very well. Not that particular one, but many of the ones in Manhattan and especially their bakery on 23rd Street just east of Sixth Avenue. I?d swear that, every so often, I can still smell the baking when I go by there! Schrafft?s was one of the great employers of Irish girls coming over. When they shut down operations, the city lost one of its really great institutions and a place that served good food and honest drinks at reasonable prices.

I imagine there are people on here whose recall is better than mine and who may be able to correct or fill in any blanks.

raybrag said:
manhattan said:
I mean some of the other kids - found out how much fun it was to unscrew the tops of the salt, pepper and sugar shakers and watch people's reactions when they got a plateful of salt or pepper or a full cup of sugar in their coffee.

If you really had a LOT of time, you'd go from table to table with an old paper bag, put all of the salt in your bag, fill the salt shakers with sugar, then the sugar shakers with salt.  Trick was to get all this done without being caught.

Ray, you were the kind of kid that the nuns wold slap us along side the head if they saw us hanging out with you. (Not that I didn't do that also, but I didn't catch on to the part about "without being caught".)

Mack,

The D train to the Polo Grounds...One stop past (or before)The Stadium.  First game at both in 1957. A bunch more in '62, 63. Heard a lot more from my ol man about the Jerome ave connector thru Highbridge to the 9th ave EL but that was before me.

Other former Yankees who were original Mets....Tom Sturdivant, Jesse Gonder, George Weiss, Gene Woodling....but the best was Marvelous Marv, who hit 40 homers in Denver and imitated The Mick in the batters box.

As Casey also said, "you could look it up".

There ya' go!  Thanks, 811!  And it reminds me that all the buses had license plates that read "OMNIBUS".  I think I also very vaguely remember open-air double deckers.  In fact, the city tried a test program in the early 1980's to bring back double deckers.  Unfortunately, and not at all surprisingly considering the MTA was involved, no one ever bothered to measure the buses' heights.  There was a huge public laugh and tabloid fodder when they had to be disassembled to fit through the tunnels into Manhattan.  I think there were also problems with the buses passing under traffic lights as in fifteen feet(?) of bus won't pass under fourteen foot nine inches(?) of traffic light.  But they were fun to ride in.

How about the trolley busses that used to run in Brooklyn.  I used to ride one down Bergen St. on my way to the old St. Francis College on Butler St.  They ran into the 1960's.

img_289.jpg

And the trolleys on rails were still running when I was a little kid . .. . my mother would take me on them.

image020.jpg

And how about two Studebakers and a Nash (behind the trolley)in one picture!

Mack Buses were also common on Staten Island as they had good hill climbing ability, Note similarity to the C model fire apparatus cab.

Attachments

• mack bus 6259.jpg
    mack bus 6259.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 314

Here is an interior shot of the very common GMC "Old Look" model built between 1940 and about 1960 as shown in "NFD2004s" Reply #18.  The 4th window back on the right is in the emergency exit door referred to by "Manhattan" in Reply #11.  This was beside the seat opposite the normal passenger door on the curb side.  The emergency door was hinged and a handle allowed it to be opened.  On some models there was a small red light above the door to indicate its position.

The exterior photo shows the emergency exit door, at oval logo (probably LA). Don't remember if there was a means to open the door from the outside.

Attachments

• gmc old look aft.jpg
    gmc old look aft.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 733
  • gmc old look exterior driver side.JPG
    gmc old look exterior driver side.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 720
Some former NYC bus companies...Fifth Avenue Coach, Avenue B Coach, Queens-Nassau Transit, Jamaica Bus Lines, Green Bus Lines, Steinway Transit, Triboro Coach, Schenk Bus Co. (ran from Queens into Nassau), Carey Bus Co. (ran to LaGuardia & Idelwild from the east side airlines terminal on 38th street & 1st avenue. I'll try to think of a few more :-\ :-\

TY, 811 ! I felt like I was 7 Yr.s Old again, riding the B9 on Ave. L/60 St. to Bay Ridge,
and the B5 Kings Hwy./Cropsey Ave to Bay Pkwy & Shore Pkwy to E.J Korvettes Dept. Store  [ 11 Jewish Korean War Vets.]

I Remember the Uproar & Outrage when NYCTA announced Exact Change Fare Policy !
We could not imagine the Inconvenience and Indignity of having to board the Bus w/ Exact Change after having been
spoiled by so many years of Bus Drivers who could do 6 or 8 things at once while Driving ...  ;)

memory master said:
Some former NYC bus companies...Fifth Avenue Coach, Avenue B Coach, Queens-Nassau Transit, Jamaica Bus Lines, Green Bus Lines, Steinway Transit, Triboro Coach, Schenk Bus Co. (ran from Queens into Nassau), Carey Bus Co. (ran to LaGuardia & Idelwild from the east side airlines terminal on 38th street & 1st avenue. I'll try to think of a few more :-\ :-\

The Carey bus also ran from the West Side Airlines Terminal on Tenth Avenue and 42nd Street with a stop at Grand Central and the East Side Airlines Terminal and on to LGA or IDL. The route was reversed on the return trip.  A little known time and money saver was that there was no fare collected in either direction between the Manhattan terminals, including getting on at GCT.  That could take a good 15 minutes off the time to get crosstown.

memory master said:

Long before they were in Westchester, the Bee Line ran busses from Nassau into Queens.  I rode the Freeport- Jamaica line for 6 years or so in HS & college.  They were red & white . . . mostly GMs, but a smattering of Macks & 30's era Whites.  In later years they got some GM fishbowls.

mid_BeeLine622_165St_8-14-62AndyGrahl_ScanColl.jpg

mid_BeeLine664_Merrick89Ave_4-5-70JT.jpg

846448213_8cc41941a2_m.jpg

regarding the Green Bus Line.  It ran from New Lots Ave. (the end of the line for the IRT Lexington Ave Line in East NY) out along Cross Bay blvd through Howard Beach, over the first bridge. through the Raunt into Broad Channel and then over the second bridge into the Rockaways. As a a young lad back in the late forties early fifties I rode that bus quite a bit to go fishing in Jamaica Bay. Fond memories indeed.

811 said:
Mack Buses were also common on Staten Island as they had good hill climbing ability, Note similarity to the C model fire apparatus cab.

I remember that these same buses were used on the Grymes Hill shuttle in the early and mid-70's and were dependable on that route even in heavy snow and ice.

The Bee Line..how could I forget that? (Don't answer) Nice shots of the buses and the Jamaica bus terminal at 89th Avenue & Merrick Blvd. Buses went in at 89th Avenue and exited at 91st Avenue across from the infamous Delehanty High School where many, many firefighters and police officers took classes for promotional exams.

I most certainly grew up in NYC and one of my memories always comes back around Super Bowl time.  In 1969, the NY Jets were playing the then Baltimore Colts in the big game.  I had a choice of staying in my apartment, by myself, and watching on a black and white tv with rabbit ear antenna OR going to E 248 and watching with my friends on a state of the art 25 inch color TV.  Upon arriving at the firehouse, I decided to put my gear on the rig, sign the log book, and notify the members I was riding.  We watched endless hours of pregame hoopla.  As the teams were lining up for the opening kickoff, the bells rang for a first due box on Tilden Avenue.  We arrived to find fire out two windows on the fourth floor of a 4 story tenement.  The fire went to an all hands and we were there for a while.  Upon return to quarters, we cleaned equipment, washed and changed hose and then went to the back room to check the game.  We saw one play: the Colts one and only touchdown.  The bells rang again for our home box at Flatbush and Church.  Have way down the block we encountered heavy smoke from Jahn's Restaurant and Ice Cream Parlor.  This also went to an all hands.  Upon return to quarters, we checked the TV only to find out the game was over.  The great Joe Willie Namath Super Bowl and we only got to see one play.

Speaking of the Mayor ("How am I doing?") Koch, the FDNY War Years and Super Bowls; how  about Engine 232's last run? ??? :mad:

Kitty Genovese murdered on a street in Queens and no one came to help...or even called the cops...

the '65 Harlem riots....

a transit cop on every train because of all the subway muggings...

abandoned buildings and cars and grafitti...

Mayor Lindsey, transit stikes, no snow removal and "The Big Apple, Fun City"... if you lived south of Harlem, as we in the outer boroughs said at the time...

Not to mention the explosion of work, multiple sections and new companies, and utter destruction of the South Bronx, East Harlem, Lower East Side, Brownsville, Bushwick, and East New York due to arson...

All happened from 1963 to '69 and into the early 70s...the real War Years. ...

After that it was merely the aftermath...as the War Years petered out through the last half of the decade.

Howard Cosell's famous quote, "the Bronx is Burning" during the '77 World Series (which he did not in fact say) was a decade too late.

You could look it up...

mack

Administrator
johnd248 said:
I most certainly grew up in NYC and one of my memories always comes back around Super Bowl time.  In 1969, the NY Jets were playing the then Baltimore Colts in the big game.  I had a choice of staying in my apartment, by myself, and watching on a black and white tv with rabbit ear antenna OR going to E 248 and watching with my friends on a state of the art 25 inch color TV.  Upon arriving at the firehouse, I decided to put my gear on the rig, sign the log book, and notify the members I was riding.  We watched endless hours of pregame hoopla.  As the teams were lining up for the opening kickoff, the bells rang for a first due box on Tilden Avenue.  We arrived to find fire out two windows on the fourth floor of a 4 story tenement.  The fire went to an all hands and we were there for a while.  Upon return to quarters, we cleaned equipment, washed and changed hose and then went to the back room to check the game.  We saw one play: the Colts one and only touchdown.  The bells rang again for our home box at Flatbush and Church.  Have way down the block we encountered heavy smoke from Jahn's Restaurant and Ice Cream Parlor.  This also went to an all hands.  Upon return to quarters, we checked the TV only to find out the game was over.  The great Joe Willie Namath Super Bowl and we only got to see one play.

John - here is game you missed - Superbowl 3  1969  - Colts and Jets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RSZ6H9HXkM    Intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCcMQoMdRJw    4th quarter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPJJRoc8100    Joe Namath and Ed Sullivan

Winning team - Jet players got $15K    Colts got $7.5 K share

I was in the Army in '69. Soldiers from every state in the Union. They all wanted to bet on the Colts with the new York guys. Even though i was a Giants fan I was willing to go with Joe Willie and the Jets. 17 and a half point underdogs if I recall correctly. I cleaned up on that one...with great pleasure.