HAPPYLAND.

3-25 is also the 21st Anniversary of the Happyland Social Club Fire in the BX where 87 Civilians died in 1987......(the largest loss of life in the BX in history).........this evening a Mass will be held at St. Thomas Aquinas at 1900 Crotona Pkwy......followed by a Rememberance Service a the site of the Fire.....REST IN PEACE TO ALL.

The TV series Law and Order used this incident as the basis for one of their episodes. I think there was shots of FDNY units operating. One man with a little gasoline, a false sense of machismo and this is what happens. Curious, what ever happened to the perp? This incident clearly called out for street justice! Rememberances to all who suffered on that painful night.

One disclaimer to this incident. I MAY BE COMPLETELY WRONG ON THIS AND IF SO I DESERVE ANY BASHING. This fire was discovered/responded to by companies on another run.

Julio Gonzalez, a Cuban immigrant, was the perp.  He was found guilty on August 19, 1991, of 87 counts of arson and 87 counts of murder, Gonz?lez was charged with 174 counts of murder- two for each victim he was sentenced to a maximum of 25 years on each count. It was the most substantial prison term ever imposed in the state of New York. He will be eligible for parole in March 2015

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
If I remember correctly Eng 45 was returning to quarters from a False Alarm when directed to respond to an ERS No Contact box at East Tremont Ave & Southern Blvd. The rest is history.

The previous run was to Boston Rd & East 174 St. for an odor of gas. There is a gas staion there on the corner & apparently that is where the perp puchased the gasoline to make the fire bomb. Later that afternoon, the culprit was taken into custody at his home in the West Bronx.

Its one of those night that I don't thonk that I will never forget.

As a buff of the Bronx (most of the time), I knew that location well. I was going to visit a friend early that morning and listening to CBS Radio they said there was a fire in the Bronx at a Social Club located at Southern Blvd and Tremont Ave. They also said at that time, there were 21 Confirmed dead. I just couldn't believe it and in my own mind, I just couldn't picture a Social Club there. I had been by there hundreds of times. Later on during the day, the fatalities were increasing.

A few days later I went down to the Bronx to see where that fire was. Flowers were placed in front of that building. But what I couldn't believe that this was really such a small building (maybe 20 x 40 and only a two story brick building). Yet it claimed the lives of so many innocent people.

Based on the book "The Usual' by Retired FDNY Member John Finucane, the fire itself was put out pretty quickly. As "Atlas" said; companies were returning from a previous run and were able to knock the fire itself down very quickly in that only stairway.

Today, across the street is a Memorial with the names of those innocent people who lost their lives in one of New York City's most tragic fires.

I believe in the book "The Usual" it was mentioned that Engine 45 and Battalion 18 were returning from a gas leak. The book was written by an FDNY member of Engine 85. He devotes one chapter to this fire. He also says that the fire itself was mostly confined to that narrow single stairway which led to the second floor. On that second floor is where the bodies were found and died from the smoke.

A temporary morgue was set up across the street in a large factory building.